5R55E Transmission Problems | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E Transmission Problems

That's a ton of miles!
Its done very well for you (Although I don't know about all the other issues you have just fixed without mentioning).

It's that darn rust that kills vehicles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been pulling the truck in and out of the driveway to change its parking spots, usually keep it out front of my house.
Today I decided to road test it and the pump broke when I was on the highway. Got towed home.
No gears at all, just like permanent neutral.

I have ordered a pump, gaskets,reman torque converter, and a newer alignment tool.
I figure my older alignment tool may not be working right, or maybe it is just the drain plug I installed in the pan causing a restriction in flow and ending up with repeated pump failure. Wish I new for sure.

DSC08701.jpg

So, the truck with the SC on it's transmission is still working fine after being beat on repeatedly?
There is no justice.

Knowing how heavy these things are, It does concern me a bit the way you seemingly have no issue dropping these transmissions, and re-fitting them. It helps knowing that you know how to be safe about it.

Whats the alignment tool for?

The drain plug is not a problem. Make sure to flush the cooler and lines very good. How about checking end play on crankshaft see how much movement you have fore and aft.what kind of alignment tool are you using?

Dono,
Yea, go figure. The trans I beat on in the supercharged 98 lasts and lasts but the one in the naturally aspirated one keeps loosing pumps.
I did break the supercharged one but it was two sprag clutches and I replaced them and don't do 4wd burn outs anymore. lol.
The secret to dropping the transmissions is the 150.00 Harbor Freight trans jack I am getting my monies worth out of.
The alignment tool is for aligning the pump with the opening in the bell housing. On the 5R55E the bell housing unbolts from the rest of the case and the pump bolts to the back of the bellhousing. Other units like the 5R55W/S have the pump go into the front of the bellhousing, I like that design much better, no room for installer error.
DSC03990.JPG

transman304,
I am using the Ford/Rotunda alignment tool, I bought the kits in the red plastic boxes with all the specialty tools for the 5R55E.
The alignment tool did feel a little loose to me even using the largest ring. I ordered a different one to try out.
The picture below is like the one I have been using.
alignment tool1.png

Crankshaft end play could be an issue, the engine does have 280,600 miles on it. lol.
The pumps seem to last me a year and maybe 10,000-15,000 miles. They are used pumps too, but flawless looking at time of installation.
I have and will continue to flush the lines and cooler too, got to make sure there is no debris left behind.

Looking back at the dates and mileage it seems this time I got around 35,000 miles and approximately 1 year 3 months since I installed the valve body.
That was just after replacing the pump and torque converter (or a month or so after).
What is the warrantee on most 5R55E transmission rebuilds these days?

can you post a few measurements of the....idk what you would call them, "L brackets" that you made to hold the trans in place while its on the jack?

Right now they are buried in my garage, I am going to need to clean the garage before I can even start pulling the transmission again.
The L Brackets are made from 3/16 thick metal strips from home depot. 2 inches wide.
I just eyed them up and bent and drilled them.

Transmission is out.
When I drained the fluid it was burnt, stinky, and had lots of metal in it.
This means something let loose and caused all sorts of damage and led to the pump breaking like it did.
The last time the pump broke everything was clean and the fluid was still nice and red.
I am looking for a used transmission and transfer case to install, that way I can take my time and rebuild this one again.
If I cant find a good cheap used one, might just have to get this one done sooner.

I don't know how much longer I will keep this truck, rust has destroyed the passenger side rocker and is still spreading.
Think I can get another year out of it if I get the transmission sorted out.
I really like this 98 4 door for a daily driver, feeling sad that it wont be around much longer.

IMG_0319.JPG
IMG_0325.JPG

I have been looking at other 2nd gen Explorers, but they are all rotted at the rear of the rocker panels like my passenger side.
Wish I could find a garage queen 2nd gen 4 door, with 4.0 SOHC and no sun roof.

Yea, your pretty much in to looking outside of the snow belt for something that's in reasonably rust free condition.
I guess seeing the trans damage was a good news bad news thing.
Good news, the pump didn't just seem to fail on its own.
Bad news. A bunch of other ****'s broken and spread everywhere.

good news. i have a trans and t case sitting in the shed (dons old one lol). better news, i know a real good body man that can not only deliver said trans, but also help you put it in, and fix the rockers!

Dono, you read my mind about the pump not just failing. lol.

Tim,
Sell your house and move in with me in NJ, we could restore a lot of Explorers.

I ended up getting a used transmission from a place called Shorty's for $600.00. Spent another $100.00 on fluid and brake clean for flushing trans cooler.
It works fine, no slipping, shifts into every gear correctly etc.
It was supposed to have 72,000 miles on it. (bull)
When I picked it up it had a tag attached with a Vin so I ran the vin on Ford's computer base and found it had 92,000 back in 2001. LOL!
Probably has 172,000 on it.
Anyway it came with a one year, parts only, one time exchange warranty. (truck will probably only last another year with the rust)
I also just got AAA towing in case it goes bad, for the 117.00 year I can get towed four times in any of my vehicles.

Years ago I picked up a used transfer case from a u pull it yard for 60.00.
I thought I was going to need it for the supercharged 98 sport but never did.
I installed the used transfer case with the used transmission and both are working at this time.
Miles 280,670

DSC00165.JPG

Yes, but they poke holes in the trans pans to drain them and they are not guaranteed to work.
You also have to pull them yourself there, a junkyard is not the kind of environment I would want to be in pulling a trans out.
I am too old to bench them down, at home I use that Harbor Freight trans jack.
Besides, you never know what is in the dirt under the vehicles at the junkyard. lol

The T-case was from Harry's but it was already pulled, $60.00 and I was out the door with it.

Back