"Angle of Upper Control Arm when installing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Angle of Upper Control Arm when installing?

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Fellows. Replacing the Upper Control Arms in the wifes 02 S/T.

What "angle" should it be secured at? Should it point down? Or straight out? Or up? And how much down or up if that the answer?

I have the new ones in place and they currently are "angled" (pointing) down about as much as the OEM units were that I removed but I didnt do any measuring before I pulled the OEM units out so I doubt the "angles" are exactly the same.

Thoughts?

ptf18

"Angle" not critical providing the ball joint stud is seated in the spindle and the pinch bolt and nut are installed. (41 ft/lbs.)

Important to tighten the UCA bolts with the suspension loaded. (98 ft/lbs.)

Swshawaii. Thank you Sir. This was EXACTlY what I was looking for. I had that "funny feeling" that the 2 bolts securing the UCA to the mounts should be tightened AFTER the S/T was back on the ground as to prevent the load imposed on the UCA rubber bushings from being excessively loaded (twisted).

Now to figure out where the "loose" ground wire I found in the engine compartment goes.

Thank you again

Here is how I tightened mine, in conjunction with my DIY front end alignment.

With the wheel off, support the lower control arm with the jack to level the vehicle, then adjust the upper control arm alignment bolts to get a vertical reading on the dial gauge attached to the brake disk. Torque to spec when aligned.

IMG_2720.JPG

Back