throw the lowering the upper control arm idea out the window! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

throw the lowering the upper control arm idea out the window!

macknos94

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 mountaineer premier
I wanted to post this a long time ago but I have been very tight on time.

Don't lower your upper control arms! This will cause a lot of positive camber as the suspension compresses. This will put stress on not only your ball joints but also a ton of stress on your upper control arms. Brandon at btf and I were talking about a few solutions to the ball joint issue. Brandon has a lot of experience with suspension and I went to school for performance suspension and chassis design. Independent suspension is very tricky because everything has to keep at very close angles. By lowering the mounting point for the uca you are changing the angle of it but leaving the lower at its original angle. Basically both upper and lower control arms must stay at the same angle or parallel to eachother unless its a race vehicle.

It you guys have any questions just ask.

I just don't wanna hear about accidents and deaths over a modified vehicle. They are trying to make tighter laws on modifying street legal vehicles which would really kill our hobby. Can you imagine basically having a black market for modifying your vehicle.

Back