5r55e rebuild help,forward clutch drum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e rebuild help,forward clutch drum

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport 4x4 2dr
Hey guys iv got a few questions. So im rebuilding my 5r55e tranny due to loss of 4th,5th,& reverse, which I knew it was the clutches. I have my trans totally stripped right now, all my hard parts are good except the forward clutch drum,it's not too bad but I wanted to know if any of you have Any bright ideas on polishing it up without having to buy a new one(can't seem to find this hard part anywhere, if you know a place let me know I would definitely appreciate it ) but anyways All the clutchs slipped off like they're supposed to except one. I got it off and I found this problem. It's not deep,it's so slight. One of the clutches got stuck

SEjBoUH.jpg

BTbMlYZ.jpg

3vKxYDh.jpg

C4fseDk.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I may be talking out my behind here:
but i would use a nut and bolt with washers then put it in a drill
get it spinning and use scotchbrite or emery cloth to buff it
maybe put the drill in a vice if it helps

Welcome Tyler. That does not look too bad, but it does point to another part, problem. That minor wear is from the steels rubbing there, the parts with the teeth on their outside. The frictions or parts with the teeth on the inside, those will still engage that drum perfectly.

You should deburr those edges of that wear area if they are too sharp, but I bet that is very minimal.

What I'd want to see is the outer part which the teeth of those steels were holding onto. What does that outer part look like? Something caused those frictions to move inward and rub on the outer part of that drum. Under normal conditions, those frictions and steels don't have significant forces that push them outwards, only forward and back.

I wonder if you have a buildup of friction material on the outer part which those steels were riding in? That would cause those steels to be pushed inward from one side, and ride against that forward drum.

What kind of fluid did the trans have in it? How old was it, what brand, was there any towing or use that would degrade the fluid quality a lot? Poor fluid and heat can create big problems for a transmission.

I only use merc v in it. When I got the car it needed work, was drivable for a few day but you could tell it needed tranny work so I did a whole valve body rebuild which was needed the gasket was blown, that fixed all of my gears everything was shifting great. After about 3 months I notchied my reverse wouldn't engage I'd give it gas and the rpm would rev up,I let off a lil bit then it would ingage. It got to the point where I completely lost reverse. Then I started gettin a 2-3 flare, then I lost 4&5th.

But here's the other drum it looks fine. Also my fluid was clean,only minimal fine shavings of clutch material in the pan after dropping the vb

jFY87l0.jpg

XCKPCgw.jpg

It sounds buildable. Check those vertical grooves carefully, make sure the steels slide up and down without any binding. Something around there caused them to not spin centered between the drums, rubbing that inner drum. But that is abnormal, so that inner drum should be fine with that as it is. I'm going to be into mine in the next week I think, finally I'm working on my 99 truck again.

Hey guys iv got a few questions. So im rebuilding my 5r55e tranny due to loss of 4th,5th,& reverse, which I knew it was the clutches. I have my trans totally stripped right now, all my hard parts are good except the forward clutch drum,it's not too bad but I wanted to know if any of you have Any bright ideas on polishing it up without having to buy a new one(can't seem to find this hard part anywhere, if you know a place let me know I would definitely appreciate it )

Bulkpart has lots of parts for the 5R55E, drum page linked below:

http://www.bulkpart.com/2/category/4R44Edrums.html

Looks kind of expensive though. As far as cleaning up the one you have, I can't add anything beyond what was said already.

I wouldn't be afraid to reuse that drum, may want to clean it up with a wire brush.

Are you replacing the seals on the pistons in the drums and inspecting the pump when you rebuild it?

I wouldn't be afraid to reuse that drum, may want to clean it up with a
I wouldn't be afraid to reuse that drum, may want to clean it up with a wire brush.

Are you replacing the seals on the pistons in the drums and inspecting the pump when you rebuild it?

yes I'm replacing everything. I went ahead and ordered one on eBay used . I just got it today it looks brand new I'm impressed

Back