01-03 Sport - Clutch Replacement

Brett

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer Sport
First off, thank you Ford Motor Company for making the starter removal such a PITA on the 2nd GEN 4wd Explorers. Plus the wrong type of bolts were used in the bracket holding the diff carrier to the frame - so if you want to pull that bracket to make starter replacement easier you end up snapping the bolts off in the diff housing and causing a whole new headache...

So my next question is what is the difference between the Explorer and Ranger clutch? 03 Sport vs. 03 Ranger, both with 4.0L SOHC's and 5spd Mazda R1 HD's. Nobody has been able to answer the question, even the Ford dealer.

I have both the Explorer and Ranger clutch side by side, and they appear to be virtually identicle. Both are replacements from the Ford counter and manufactured by Luk. I "think" that the difference may be in the amount of pressure plate force. To me, it seems the Ranger clutch holds a lot better, and has a lighter pedal feel.

One thing is for sure. The Ranger clutch is more widely available both at the dealer and at parts stores. And is costs a whole lot less than the Explorer. TIP: ask for an 02-07 Ranger clutch instead of the 01-03 Explorer Sport clutch.

Brett

Back