2011 Ford Explorer Radio Upgrade | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Ford Explorer Radio Upgrade

I don’t think either of the 8”s are commonly swapped out. Is there a feature you need that the factory radio doesn’t have?

Now the factory radio isn’t working. That’s the reason I want to replace. But I can’t seem to find a kit (radio,harness wires) That matches with this car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahhh. Yeah, it doesn’t seem there’s a readily available mounting kit. Looks like you might be stuck sourcing a factory replacement. I’m sure there are amps involved, and a replacement is an option, but it’s be a lot of work doing it yourself, and expensive to have someone else do. And, there’s things like the rear air that might be difficult or impossible to keep.

That’s only pertaining to the base radio, IE the 4.2” screen.
There is a video in this Forum that shows a 4.2" being replaced with an upgraded 8" unit but I haven't been able to find it. That is what the OP might need.

Peter

There are kits available to swap out a factory 4.2”, but not to swap out an 8”.

Correct. Not upgrades available for 8”

I’m assuming you checked the simple things, like the fuses?

I’m assuming you checked the simple things, like the fuses?

Yes. I took it to the dealer, they told me to start out it could be the wire harness and to just check it would be 2000+ dollars and I said no.

I hate dealers. I kind of doubt it’d be the harness. Call an audio shop, they usually also specialize in electrical troubleshooting, and could hook you up for way less. Unless, that is, you feel like yanking the head unit out. I’m sure the wiring diagrams are available, and you could be walked through checking it out.

There are kits available to swap out a factory 4.2”, but not to swap out an 8”.
Would this not work? Also the link in post #8 is an XLT (don't understand a word of the video though).

Peter

You might be able to physically mount something using one of those kits, but there are likely several harnesses that probably aren’t available. With 8 speakers, I’d bet there’s external amp in play.

Could you a make a stereo install and function? Absolutely. Is it going to be simple, or a trivial install? Very unlikely.

Finally I upgraded my radio (Ford Explorer XLT 2011) now I have a problem. I recently had sn isue where my SYNC module was not turning on. I then took it to a radio shop to try getting a new one. The guy did a great job and got the brand new radio to turn on. I then drove away happy thinking that the problem was solved. I then turned turned off my car overnight and the next day in the morning the brand new radio did not display any image. I took it back to the radio shop and the worker unplugged and plugged the battery and the radio finally did work. Apparently the car has electrical issues. When I leave the car off for less than 10 minutes the radio will still work. If I leave the car off for more than 30 minutes or so the new radio would not turn on. I then have to unplug then plug the cars battery to get the radio to work again.
Please help!

D47DEAE2-6B71-4E9C-9808-FE2411BA3A4F.jpeg

678C5C42-10CD-4A70-A7F9-6E899C99A25E.jpeg

F891EA58-D27C-4618-B447-60A5CE26FD93.jpeg

1FE13B3D-09E0-48F2-840D-25AEE1C95AF7.jpeg

Problem with the battery saver? Is only the radio affected by this issue? I’d pull the radio out, let it sit, and then try unplugging the radio harness.

Yeah the guy did pull out the radio and let it sit for about 10 minutes. The key fob also does not work I had a guy that tried programming the key fob and after 30 minutes the key entry not work.

Back