2001 Merc Mountaineer electrical schematics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Merc Mountaineer electrical schematics

ISPKI

Reaction score
City, State
Granby CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mercury Mountaineer
Hey guys, new member here trying to complete an engine/transmission swap. I need the electrical schematics for a 2001 Mercury Mountaineer w/ 5.0v8 and A/T, I believe it had a 4r70E(?). Starting with the engine bay harness. I am transitioning to a manual transmission so I dont need the electrical schematics for the A/T but I need basically everything else. I had searched and found a collection of schematics but now that I am searching on my PC so I can print them, I cant seem to find them anymore.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you considered buying the book?

To convert from the 4r70w auto found in ALL 5.0 Explorers to a 5 speed you will need a computer tune or your truck wont run well at all The engines computer it is expecting to see the inputs from the auto trans

There are several wires going to the auto transmission you are going to ignore
You will want to retain the reverse lights (black with purple) and the neutral safety circuits and loop the NSS back to the truck so the 3 position clutch switch can take over neutral safety duties.

I find used Ford 2001 explorer wiring books on Amazon for like $10!!

Have you considered buying the book?

To convert from the 4r70w auto found in ALL 5.0 Explorers to a 5 speed you will need a computer tune or your truck wont run well at all The engines computer it is expecting to see the inputs from the auto trans

There are several wires going to the auto transmission you are going to ignore
You will want to retain the reverse lights (black with purple) and the neutral safety circuits and loop the NSS back to the truck so the 3 position clutch switch can take over neutral safety duties.

I find used Ford 2001 explorer wiring books on Amazon for like $10!!

Yes, I am planning on using a Moates QH and binary editor or something similar to tune it once its done. There will be alot more circuits that I likely wont use. Engine is being swapped into a 1977 Datsun so the cabin harness will have to get modified extensively. Sometimes I wonder if it would make more sense to get an aftermarket computer but everything ive seen is extremely expensive. Plus I went to the effort to salvage the electrical system out of the mountaineer.

I will take a look at actual service books, could you point me in the right direction on what I should look for?

The factory electrical system is just fine, forget aftermarket computer = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and then you would have to wire everything up anyways

I have stripped down a 5.0 drivetrain harness to the bare essentials quite a few times
I have stripped down the explorer body harness also before, to the bare essentials, just what the drivetrain, power and instrument cluster needs. It is pretty impressive the amount of crap that is NOT NEEDED

Get this book right here:

I have same one, it has all the info you need

You are not going to be removing that many wires inside the drivetrain harness, most of those are needed. I mean you can remove the EGR system plugs if you plan to tune out EGR. You can remove the shift solenoid wires since you are going 5 speed, but everything else in there pretty much will stay put. Most of the wiring changes happen OUTSIDE the drivetrain harness on the vehicle side of things

The 5.0 drivetrain harness is pretty good at being its own stand alone drivetrain harness, I mean with a few key wires you can make one run on an engine stand...of course the PATS security stuff needs to be in place with the 98-01 harness, unless you tune that out too.

Hey guys, new member here trying to complete an engine/transmission swap. I need the electrical schematics for a 2001 Mercury Mountaineer w/ 5.0v8 and A/T, I believe it had a 4r70E(?). Starting with the engine bay harness. I am transitioning to a manual transmission so I dont need the electrical schematics for the A/T but I need basically everything else. I had searched and found a collection of schematics but now that I am searching on my PC so I can print them, I cant seem to find them anymore.

I have a similar set-up (2000 5.0 with a 5-speed behind it) You don't need a new computer, I had mine tuned by a local shop to turn off all of the sensors. The only thing I had do do wiring-wise was short out two of the pins in the clutch position switch under the dash, the tuner was able to do everything else for me.

Oh boy, you folks are awesome. I will order up that book today. Right now im trying to figure out where to mount the power distribution box and route the cables. I will likely end up having to cut up the harness and reconnect individual wires since its probably going to be waayyy too large for my car.

For the ECU, I had been looking at a Speeduino system but I think its a level of complication that I probably shouldnt tackle.

I did keep the Pats module in the harness, used a demolition sawzall to cut the truck apart around the wiring so as not to damage anything. Even salvaged the power leather seats and mounted them in my old diesel flatbed. I even still have the steering column with the key fob still in it so I could probably keep the PATS installed but may tune it out for simplicity.

Allright
So a few years back I helped build a 1949 Ford F1 truck body onto a 97 5.0 AWD explorer
The F1 only needed the very basics from the explorer.
I started at the front bumper and removed every single wire, relay, fuse, anything that was not needed and I mean anything. At the end of the day we ended up with a 97 power distribution box with like 4 fuses and 3 relays in it, everything else was removed. There were only two other small relay boxes that remained as well. All behind the dash wiring, cab wiring and everything under the truck was all stripped out. Only circuits left were lights, the instrument cluster and what was needed to make it run.
The battery was re located to behind the passenger seat
I relocated ALL OF THE POWER DISTRIBUTION wiring to inside the cab, the power dist box I made fit in the drivers kick panel
It came out so clean! It really is amazing how little is needed to make a 5.0 explorer run drive and function.
I have all the wiring info from that project, it shows what remained and what did not, might be helpful to you. I can scan it it.
PM me and we can get some emails going on that

171_100941_250000000.jpg

171_100941_270000003.jpg

see all those cut wires? later I came back and removed every un needed pin
171_100941_260000002.jpg

more circuits being removed one by one
171_100941_270000004.jpg

171_100942_500000000.jpg

before
171_100944_280000000.jpg

after
171_100944_280000001.jpg