• Register Today It's free!

2001 explorer sport 2dr v8 swap

93rangerturbo

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt AWD
I'm working on a 2001 early model explorer sport 2 dr v8 swap. I'm installing a 2000 mercury mountaineer 5.0 engine and 4r70w trans in to my 2001 explorer sport 2dr & my question is do the harnesses not match like the other 4dr models. I swapped in the engine & transmission & got it running, but the battery harness doesn't match. Also the speedometer doesn't work and the transmission doesn't engage in gear like it should . Any ideas as to wiring I needed to swap out? Maybe the gem module? Thanks in advance Was thinking maybe a speed sensor issue. Again its the early production date so I was thinking it was about the same.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is the build date of your Sport like month and day? There is some wiring differences between the C115 to C110, and the C125 to C139 connectors. No need to swap the Gem module. The alternator/battery harness is different from the 5.0 Explorer/Mountaineer to the 4.0 Sport. I have all the wiring diagrams and connector pinouts, it's not to hard a job just moving some wires around to match. I can help out with the wiring if you need it.

Manufacturer date is 02/2000 is an early model 2001 sport

Thx 2000streetrod, if I remember correctly I got that part, but will double check. Matter of moving a couple grounds I think

What wiring have you already done to your Sport? You said you got it running. Your fortunate to have an early model Job 1, the Job 2 takes a bit more work. Your speedometer should work since the early 2001 Sport/Sport Trac used the 4ABS module for the VSS signal, where as the late 2001 came from the PCM. Is your Sport 2 or 4WD?

Sport is 2wd and was from the factory. , all I did was plug in the 42 pin harness connector (one located on top of engine) . Then changed one pin on the battery harness (one near power distribution box) to make the starter work. That's it so far. It fired up and ran.

I assume it was the yellow/light blue wire in the battery harness that is for the starter solenoid.

So question now what gauges aren't working? I assume the oil pressure, possibly charging, and the speedometer? What did you do with the wires to the AC high pressure switch? Those wires run through the Sport C139 connector, but not on the Explorer C125 connector.

On the alternator/battery harness connector C139 is the Sport side of the connector, there should be Red/Yellow, Black, Yellow/Light Blue, Black/White, Dark Green/White, Gray/White, possibly Yellow/White, and Light Green/Red wires.

On the Explorer/Mountaineer side of the connector C125 there should be a Black, Gray/White, Yellow/Light Blue, possibly even a Dark Green/White and White/Pink depending on if it had a message center or not in the console of the Explorer.

On the Sport side of that connector C139 the Black, Gray/White, and Yellow/Light Blue all need to match up pin for pin to those on the Explorer/Mountaineer side C125. The Dark Green/White wire on the Sport side of the connector C139 is for the oil pressure and will need removed and pinned to pin 26 of the 42 pin engine connector C110 on the Sport side of the connector.

If there is a Yellow/White wire in the Sport C139 side it will also need removed and pinned to pin 42 of the 42 pin engine connector C110 on the Sport side of that connector it is for the alternator. If there happens to be a Light Green/Red wire as well in C139 it will need removed and pinned to pin 41 of the 42 pin engine connector C110 on the Sport side it is for the charging indicator.

As for the Red/Yellow, and Black/White in C139 those are for the AC high pressure switch and will need to be extended from the AC high pressure switch and added into to the Explorer/Mountaineer side C125 of the alternator/battery harness connector to match the Sport C139 side of the connector.

Of the alternator/battery harness connector the Explorer/Mountaineer side is C125, the Sport side is C139, and on the 42 pin engine connector the Explorer/Mountaineer side is C115, and the Sport side is C110.

You are correct, the volt Guage doesn't, oil pressure doesn't, , and I'm pretty sure the speedometer but cannot confirm that, as i haven't driver the truck any father than moving it front and back. I will do just as you mentioned this Friday when I get off work and see if that gets me closer. Thanks for the info. Now as far as the trans taking a few seconds to engage that's probably not a wiring or speed sensor issue correct?

The transmission may not shift correctly if the PCM isn't receiving the proper VSS signal, but your Sport being a early 2001 model Job 1, that shouldn't be an issue. The early 2001-Job 1 Sport/Sport Trac had the same VSS signal source as the 4DR Explorer and Mountaineer 5.0 which came from the 4WABS module. Were you able to test the transmission in the Mountaineer before the swap? Maybe low on transmission fluid?

Transmission was in Prefect working condition pulled from my 2wd daily driver I made into a 4wd so I know it was good when pulled. Only thing I did was when I got the engine and transmission in, was I started the engine for about 20-30 minutes to let it warm up before I filled the trans with fluid & changed the tranny filter . Think that caused an issue with the pump in the trans? I did notice my lines from trans got really hot after I finally added fluid in the tranny.

Was the transmission dry when you installed it? Or did the torque converter and transmission already have fluid in it?

Dry, converter drained and pan about empty. I completely forgot about it

Yeah that could pose a problem, transmission could have overheated. Have you checked the fluid since you filled the transmission? How many quarts did you add? Might want to take a look at it, and see if there is any internal debris in it. Excessive heat is a killer on automatic transmissions.

Fluid was still nice red with no burnt smell. I think i added about 10 or 11 quarts. I plan on pressure testing the transmission this weekend also.

Sounds like a good idea, I would do that and finish up the electrical connections, then take it for a spin see how it runs.

K, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again for the input and help.

No problem glad to help, I think Ford should have offered the 5.0 as an option for the 2001 Sport/Sport Trac anyways.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How are things going with the Sport?

Back