2010 Explorer differentials

Jiri Fliger

Reaction score
City, State
Vysoke Myto
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer
Hi Guys,

working on my 2010 Explorer I have found lubricant leak around rear differential R/H driveaxle, I guess thats the easy fix with seal replacement without need
to pull the diff out of the car? Attached couple pictures of my "undercarriage" and videos while I was trying to shake my drive axles, the question I would like to ask you,
is this play still acceptable or should I replace the driveaxles? Working on the aeroplanes is whats feed me so all this is new to me... but felt in love with this car....
4.6 V8....

IMG_7510.JPG

IMG_7511.JPG

IMG_7514.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

videos seems to be to large will try to downsize that and upload

Check the fluid level first If you cant see the level stick something flexable in the hole to see if any fluid is in there. Look at the fluid condition too. The play I dont know if its normal or not if it is then you can just replace the seal.

I had a seal i did not catch and it took out the diff that why I would check the fluid first.
If you cant get the video to updoad to the site upload it to a video hosting site and post a link (like youtube).

Some in/out play on the shaft is normal. You can replace this seal with the differential mounted, but you need to remove some suspension components.

See Spartan Locker Install Ford 8.8 IRS

You can make up a seal install tool with some PVC fittings

My son and I replaced the front left axle seal. Once you remove the axel, just remove and replace the seal. We got the seal started and used a 2x4 to tap it home carefully. After replacing axel and parts, filled the rear while the front corner was in the air. Put a catch pan under it and let the car down on the tire to drain to the right level, jack back up and install the plug. That made it easier to get the right level without trying to do it on the ground or jacking up all four wheels.

It's not a bad job. I replaced both of my rear seals. Just have to remove the knuckle and pull the axle out, remove old seal, install new and re-assembly everything. Check fluid level. I was able to do it in the driveway with battery powered impact and hand tools. Took me a day. Hardest part was getting the axles out of the diff.

Back