How to: - Lubricate 2nd gen hub - Let's make Explorer's wheel hub last forever! Grease your wheel hub and make it almost indestructible! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Lubricate 2nd gen hub - Let's make Explorer's wheel hub last forever! Grease your wheel hub and make it almost indestructible!

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So who did this thing? What is your opinion?

Did what?

It’s been discussed here before. I’m assuming few have actually done it. A little fresh grease never hurt anything.

So who did this thing? What is your opinion?
My opinion is not to mess with brake caliper installation without a torque wrench. Too many reports of the caliper frame coming loose.

My opinion is not to mess with brake caliper installation without a torque wrench. Too many reports of the caliper frame coming loose.
Technically, everything has a torque spec and you should never do anything without one of you want it done “right”.

Technically, everything has a torque spec and you should never do anything without one of you want it done “right”.
those bolts rusted as hell, and will never come loose

After you remove them their rustiness is irrelevant.

And after you screw them back - it's relevant again)))

Yeah. After they rust again.

How does one get the grease past the seal on the sealed bearings?

I use "Locktite" on brake stuff. The "GreenMachine" in my sig was
purchased for $1K because the caliper bolt fell out and the front wheel
locked up in my driveway.

How does one get the grease past the seal on the sealed bearings?

You can remove the ABS sensor and squirt some grease into that hole, where it should already be full of grease(a sealed bearing). If there is room for more grease under the ABS sensor, then the hub has already lost some grease, and it has some bearing wear. I've never had a hub that I bought wear out, a few are just over 100k miles, but most top brands will last 150k or so. An original hub is going to be old and have some wear, it seems a little late to regrease a 20 year old bearing.

Those rusty bolts, you can take them off and replace the rust with one drop of red Loctite on the threads.

Yep, Ford used thread locker on those bolts from the factory.

My opinion that sealed bearings are sealed for a reason, they are pre-greased and this is completely unnecessary. They should be replaced when they start to go bad, they have a lifespan and greasing them is not the proper way to repair them.

I do like to live dangerously I guess because I have never used a torque wrench on a brake caliper bolt, good and tight works fine for me.

I do like to live dangerously I guess because I have never used a torque wrench on a brake caliper bolt, good and tight works fine for me
Its German good n tighten

Is someone German here, scheisskopf?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the point of the video is how to re grease a good bearing to make it last longer
Must be hard to find parts in Russia

I don't think a sealed bearing is water tight
I'm sure grease will be forced in
That grease gun can build a lot of pressure
Makes sense to me

Back