01 Explorer Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Bushing Removal. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

01 Explorer Rear Leaf Spring Shackle Bushing Removal.

fordsky

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer XLT
Yet another common issue im running into is removing the shackle bushing from the frame of my explorer. The bolt is rust welded tight and will not move. The side trim is blocking me form getting a hammer on it. Is just heating it up my best bet or are there other tricks im not aware of. Thanks in advance.
tempImagefSvCzp.jpg
tempImageXQV3iF.jpg

tempImage8UAhrP.jpg
tempImageQFREqg.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can’t get in there with the side of a mini sledge?

You can take a torch and burn it out, but I’m not sure how readily available those bushings are? I seem to remember looking at them and thinking ‘this bushing would be a ***** to replace’

I could be wrong

You can’t get in there with the side of a mini sledge?

You can take a torch and burn it out, but I’m not sure how readily available those bushings are? I seem to remember looking at them and thinking ‘this bushing would be a ***** to replace’

I could be wrong
I can somewhat but I only have about 10-11” of clearance. Tuff to get a good smack on it. The bushings suck bc you have to buy the whole shackle just to use the bushings. I have the warrior shackles just got to get this damn bolt and bushing out.

2pcs Black Leaf Spring Shackle Kit (Includes Bolts, Washers, Nuts) Rear Position Compatible with 91-01 Ford Explorer, 01-05 Explorer Sport Trac, and 97-01 Mercurity Mountaineer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FX29X75/?tag=serious-20

you can try a ball joint press to force it out, then cut the sleeve and chisel it out. however, i believe the bushings in the link are for the leafs and not the frame.
if you need the ones for the frame, the ford part number is F57Z 5A546 AA. but call them first toe see if they are still available

you can try a ball joint press to force it out, then cut the sleeve and chisel it out. however, i believe the bushings in the link are for the leafs and not the frame.
if you need the ones for the frame, the ford part number is F57Z 5A546 AA. but call them first toe see if they are still available
Thanks! Ended up getting the bolt out with a Milwaukee driver!!!

Yet another common issue im running into is removing the shackle bushing from the frame of my explorer. The bolt is rust welded tight and will not move. The side trim is blocking me form getting a hammer on it. Is just heating it up my best bet or are there other tricks im not aware of. Thanks in advance. View attachment 330181View attachment 330185
View attachment 330182View attachment 330183
**UPDATE**

Got it out FINALLY with a Milwaukee impact wrench. This tool is a life saver.

Back