2010 Mountaineer Shifter intermittent lock in park. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2010 Mountaineer Shifter intermittent lock in park.

Littleant

Reaction score
City, State
Orleans
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer 4.0
Hi folks. Shifter intermittent lock in park.If I keep tapping the brake pedal it will work. When not working the brake lights don't work. Possible brake light switch or relay. Will be working on it tomorrow. What would you consider the best place to start. Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look at this post ∆∆∆
1639780205715.png

Not your year but I have a feeling you have the same problem

Thanks Donalds. Is this the brake light switch located on the brake pedal?? I should be able to see it by removing one panel.

On the pedal yes
Look up a video or a thread on here
There usually is a trick to removing the switch
Look inside your switch if possible to confirm

Well put a new brake light switch in today but no go. No brake lights and shifter does not disengage. Removed console and can disengage Shifter lock by moving a plastic block but does not give me brake lights. There is a plunger that moves that block but not working. All lights work except the brakes.

Hi folks. Shifter intermittent lock in park.If I keep tapping the brake pedal it will work. When not working the brake lights don't work. Possible brake light switch or relay. Will be working on it tomorrow. What would you consider the best place to start. Thank you
This video might help.

94 Eddie do you know if that part would prevent the brake lights from working thank you

94 Eddie do you know if that part would prevent the brake lights from working thank you
I don't think so but the circuit board in the 4th gens are a known problem. Here is another video that deals specifically with the BCM (Body Control Module) and fuses that controls the brake switch. The brake switch is about as simple a switch as you will find so there isn't much to go wrong. I have replaced the brake light switch over the years on 2-3 Explorers/Mountaineers I have owned from the 1st and 3rd generations. The issue might be with the BCM the switch is run from or a blown fuse in the BCM. I recommend checking the socket that plugs into the brake switch for corrosion etc. Maybe check the voltage to the switch at the connector to see if it is erratic. The video below explains where the BCM and relevant fuses are located.

Well if crazy stuff is going to happen it will happen to me. So I put the old switch back on and it would work 1-2 times. Would keep tapping the brake pedal about 10-20 times and it would work again. Install new one and nothing.
Brought it back to the part store, asked for a exchange and the said we don't take back electrical parts. Now I am 68 and my patience is thin and they gave me another switch. Installed it and guess what it work PERFECT. I was not walking out without a new switch. Cost $30.00 dollars. Thanks for everyone's input 👍

Cool glad you found that switch

Well if crazy stuff is going to happen it will happen to me. So I put the old switch back on and it would work 1-2 times. Would keep tapping the brake pedal about 10-20 times and it would work again. Install new one and nothing.
Brought it back to the part store, asked for a exchange and the said we don't take back electrical parts. Now I am 68 and my patience is thin and they gave me another switch. Installed it and guess what it work PERFECT. I was not walking out without a new switch. Cost $30.00 dollars. Thanks for everyone's input 👍
You had my nightmare scenario. A malfunctioning replacement part that I assume is good that sends me on a wild goose chase.

Back