Anyone actually complete electric fan conversion ???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone actually complete electric fan conversion ????

Horners08explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Quinte west, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 explorer Ltd awd 4.6
I've read alot of threads, just have not actually found a completed electric fan conversion swap.
Any other year make model fan / shroud able to be swapped in ? Or are we stuck with the aftermarket ones that attach to the rad with no shroud? And does the engine light illuminate with the original fan clutch disconnected ?
I have an 08 awd 4.6 ltd

20220212_160830.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whats wrong with the factory one?

I’m thinking of trying it. I had a flex-a-lite black magic 180 on my 2nd gen, I’m pretty sure it would work in this application too.

I‘m also interested in one of these 100% variable fan speed controllers:

I have one of the flex-a-lite kits from wayyy back on my Jeep XJ. Great for that application but dunno if I would bother on an Explorer that comes stock with an electric fan. I mean... it's already there. Doing exactly the same thing.

Now if someone made a module to plug into the factory wiring that would control an aftermarket fan (on/off + speed) that might be a good thing for rock crawling. (That would let ya leave all wiring 'stock' & just plug into the harness on one side & run 'generic fan' on other side.

I have one of the flex-a-lite kits from wayyy back on my Jeep XJ. Great for that application but dunno if I would bother on an Explorer that comes stock with an electric fan. I mean... it's already there. Doing exactly the same thing.

Now if someone made a module to plug into the factory wiring that would control an aftermarket fan (on/off + speed) that might be a good thing for rock crawling. (That would let ya leave all wiring 'stock' & just plug into the harness on one side & run 'generic fan' on other side.
My 4th gen has the stock clutch driven fan, which is the reason I’m pursuing an electric upgrade.

So based on this thread Electric fan conversion info. I bought an electric fan for an 05-10 4.6 mustang. I also bought a Davies Craig electric fan switch with AC connection. Looks pretty simple to wire up but there is only one fat fan wire running to the fan from the Davies Craig assembly. When I look at the pigtail connector for the mustang fan it has 3 prongs. I’m assuming Hi, Low and ground. So the Davies wiring harness connects to the A/C clutch and will turn on the fan when the A/C is engaged but I don’t think there’s a way to make the high side turn on (I’m only assuming it has a high setting). I might have to go with a different harness or come up with my own if this is the case. The plan this weekend is to drop an engine that I found with 71k on it into my 07. I’m rebuilding the timing and installing an ASP underdrive pulley as well as shorty headers. Hopefully all goes somewhat to plan at least there’s enough good info out there in regards to making your own wiring harness. I think if you pull the fan and clutch off you can just leave the electronic portion in place so the computer still thinks it’s hooked up so it won’t throw any warnings.

My 4th gen has the stock clutch driven fan, which is the reason I’m pursuing an electric upgrade.
Mine is clutch driven but also has an electric motor on it controlled by either trans temp or the sensor in thermostat housing. Runs a 'clutch fan' until it gets signal to run. (That's why plugging into the stock harness would, on mine at least, allow manual fan control.) Didn't know they had 'clutch only' available.

Did ya get it the way you want it? (Which is what's important!)

Well scratch this idea :/ I don’t see how this will work with the electric fan clutch removed. I haven’t tried running the vehicle with the fan clutch electronics unplugged but I imagine it will throw a CEL. Might be possible to use a flatter lower profile fan and custom shroud, leave the clutch in place minus the fan. Still might throw a code though since the clash will be spinning much faster without the fan attached. I think I’m going to abandon this idea though and just stick with the stock fan. Wish I didn’t already invest in the fan and controller, I’ll be posting those for same. Just bought a new Motorcraft fan clutch from rockauto for $212 to install after my timing rebuild. Still have my underdrive pulley, I’ll at least get a little economy and a little more torque out of that.

My fan broke recently and put a hole in my radiator, so I'm hoping someone has figured out a way to run an electric fan as now is the best time for me to switch

I have installed 2014 Mustang fan RF-394 and now it's been more than 3 years and driven around 50k miles so far so good.

I have installed 2014 Mustang fan RF-394 and now it's been more than 3 years and driven around 50k miles so far so good.
Was you clutch fan electronic or purely mechanical? If it is an electronic clutch fan that you replaced do you have any issues with thevCEl turning? Does your computer thrown an error?

Was you clutch fan electronic or purely mechanical? If it is an electronic clutch fan that you replaced do you have any issues with thevCEl turning? Does your computer thrown an error?
It was electronic clutch fan, sorry I don’t know what u mean by thevCEI turning. But there is no issue or any error. You will get code only when u scan. No code on cluster. I mainly replaced clutch fan due to loud noise.

It was electronic clutch fan, sorry I don’t know what u mean by thevCEI turning. But there is no issue or any error. You will get code only when u scan. No code on cluster. I mainly replaced clutch fan due to loud noise.
Sorry I didn’t see that I had mistyped before pressing post reply. You did answer my question. I wanted to know if the “check engine light” turned on and you say it doesn’t on the cluster. Thanks!

what else do you need to install for that fan to work?

what else do you need to install for that fan to work?
You need wiring diagram relays fuses and temperature sensor. In my case I kept low speed fan when AC is on and high speed fan when engine temperature reaches 210F. I installed digital temperature controller (w1209) which is adjustable and 3 relays 4 fuses.

Back