• Register Today It's free!

P0745

My gfs explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 explorer 4.0 flexfuel
So my girlfriend called me while she was in her way to work. Said he car was shifting really funny and overdrive light was flashing.

Once we both got home, I drove it just down the street to AutoZone and checked codes. Only code was 00745. Did a little research and I think I found three potential causes, low/dirty old fluid, bad shift solenoid, or possibly bad servo.

I don't think it's a servo since those seem to come with more codes. I really think it's the solenoid, but I don't know the last time the transmission has been serviced and that's the far cheaper option, so that's where I started.

Bought filter and 5 quarts of trans fluid, as per what I've seen on a few YouTube videos, the little nipple for the drain plug, and went to service the trans.

However, after pumping in the five quarts and pulling the tube off the nipple, I got no drainage/overflow like the YouTube videos said I would. Thinking it might be low on fluid, I went back to AutoZone and purchased two more quarts, came back and pumped them in. Still no real drain. Again, thinking it may have just been REALLY low, I went back and bought two more and pumped them in, now totaling 9 quarts, and still no significant drain.

Have I messed something up or am I on the correct path and need to keep going?

Not sure. It does hold 12.7qts. But if it was that low I don't think it would have moved at all.

FordExplorerFluidCapacities.png

Is there any reason why it might not drain if it is filled correctly/over filled? Like being too hot or cold?

I did pull the tube to check for draining immediately after starting, and when I didn't see a steady drain after a few minutes, stopped and went and got more fluid. Then did the same thing. But I know the engine eventually got warm, so I'd think the trans would have to. But never got the real steady stream I saw in the YouTube video

Back