• Register Today It's free!

air/foam trans fluid

lynnboy021

Reaction score
City, State
billerica ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer
so i did the trans fluid and filter change today and the fluid was nice and red and no burnt smell to it.... refilled the trans with 6 qts of mercon v fluid.. started up the truck let it warm up went through all the gears and kept the truck running... levied the truck and started to drain some fluid as the YouTube video showed me how. well while the fluid was draining sometimes it was red and sometimes at the end it came out like pink fluid kinda like there was air in the system.. when i bought the truck it was whining but i thought it was the ps pump so i left it alone and goes to find out that its the tranny that's making the whine.. so my questions are,

1, with the pink fluid does it mean i have a bad cooler and air in the lines? maybe a leaking cooler?
2, trans shifts good, can the whine be a bad tc, oil pump, air in tranny, valve body gasket or solenoid pack gasket??? i don't think its trans filter, i made sure it was installed right and o-rings was there..
3, can i be low in fluid?

My guess would be low fluid would cause it to suck up air...

You've reminded me of a question I've been needing to ask.

My transmission whines after slamming on the brakes then goes away after a few minutes. Does that mean I'm low on fluid? I've never checked it since getting it 4 years ago now. Mainly because I don't see any leaks and I have no way of jacking it up while also keeping it level. I need to get 4 ramps to drive it onto or dig a ditch in my yard to straddle it over. lol

Ask a garage with a lift or a Jiffy Lube place with a pit to check the level. You might be able to get a filler tube kit with a dipstick to replace the fill plug. I remember seeing a thread about this so I know that it's here.

Ask a garage with a lift or a Jiffy Lube place with a pit to check the level. You might be able to get a filler tube kit with a dipstick to replace the fill plug. I remember seeing a thread about this so I know that it's here.

I watched the YouTube video on how to do it but again I just dont know why it's coming out pink... the transmission sounds like a powersteering pump going bad....

Back