2017 FPIU - Brake lights not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 FPIU - Brake lights not working

dc5boye

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 FPIU 3.7L V6
So I recently got a 2017 Police Interceptor Utility, and I’m having a brake light issue. The normal tail lights work, but only the top brake light (above back window) works when I hit the brakes. I’m pretty sure the tail light is also supposed to illuminate but it doesn’t.

So my question is, are the led brake lights a separate bulb, or do they share the lights with the tail light? I ruled out the possibility of the brake switch because the top one works.

The owners manual just says the led lights aren’t serviceable, which would suck if so.

Thank you guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I recently got a 2017 Police Interceptor Utility, and I’m having a brake light issue. The normal tail lights work, but only the top brake light (above back window) works when I hit the brakes. I’m pretty sure the tail light is also supposed to illuminate but it doesn’t.

So my question is, are the led brake lights a separate bulb, or do they share the lights with the tail light? I ruled out the possibility of the brake switch because the top one works.

The owners manual just says the led lights aren’t serviceable, which would suck if so.

Thank you guys.
Check the fusebox ' Main Brake Lights'. The one under the dash. Can't see both burning out at the same time.

If it's a former LEO vehicle, was the gear removed correctly? Thinking that perhaps they are simply disconnected?

Thank you guys.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
You seem to have the Owner's Manual and the LED not serviceable is a standard phrase in all the manuals. https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...d=4165&vFilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=usa
I did not see any fuses specifically for brake lights or taillights, however, there are couple that may affect them.
As Matt suggested, check to make sure that they are connected.

Peter

Check the fusebox ' Main Brake Lights'. The one under the dash. Can't see both burning out at the same time.

If it's a former LEO vehicle, was the gear removed correctly? Thinking that perhaps they are simply disconnected?

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
You seem to have the Owner's Manual and the LED not serviceable is a standard phrase in all the manuals. https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...d=4165&vFilteringEnabled=False&userMarket=usa
I did not see any fuses specifically for brake lights or taillights, however, there are couple that may affect them.
As Matt suggested, check to make sure that they are connected.

Peter

Appreciate the responses. I checked all the fuses and there are none missing, and replaced a couple fuses like the brake light switch fuse but also didn’t work.

I took one of the tail lights off, it seems everything is connected properly. Is the brake light a bulb or is it built into the LED? The led tail lights still work.

So I did a little more looking inside the trunk area, and I found that wires that go to the tail light are cut. Also found out that those wires ran to this other area behind the second row of seats. I’ll include pics. I’m not sure what I’m looking at really I assume they just cut the equipment out. The cuts in the plastic were there before I bought it, but I didn’t look too much into it.

Any ideas how I can get the lights wired back the OEM way?

F0DD0B2B-0926-4746-BB2B-2E3B101118FF.jpeg
7EF3D049-0A88-48E2-B9F3-1FEEF34E1791.jpeg
696F70F7-2525-486A-A007-748189884DEC.jpeg

Appreciate the responses. I checked all the fuses and there are none missing, and replaced a couple fuses like the brake light switch fuse but also didn’t work.

I took one of the tail lights off, it seems everything is connected properly. Is the brake light a bulb or is it built into the LED? The led tail lights still work.
According to your manual, the High Mounted Brake Lamp and the Brake and Rear Lamp are LED. I''m guessing the Rear Lamp is the taillight.
1666547025254.png

It seems that in the back, the turn signals, backup and license plate lights are bulbs.

Peter

That red piece behind the second seat is a power supply for the rear police gear. The tailights would not be connected to that. Wigwag (flashers) could be. Need to find the same color/number of wires to reconnect the brake lights.

I'd suspect the unit had something connected, like wig wags, that are wired to the brake lights to control them when in use.

That red piece behind the second seat is a power supply for the rear police gear. The tailights would not be connected to that. Wigwag (flashers) could be. Need to find the same color/number of wires to reconnect the brake lights.

I'd suspect the unit had something connected, like wig wags, that are wired to the brake lights to control them when in use.

I'm probably gonna have to take it to someone who's good with wiring and electronics to re wire the brake lights. I'm gonna try and find where the other rear control module is and see if there's a simple fix before I do that. I'm hoping they just disconnected a connector and used their own, but I'm thinking that they spliced the wires together.

Decided to look more in depth at the wiring with the plastic trim off. Looks like they spliced the wires together for some sort of Police light function, and they just cut the wires to get their modules out I assume.

Looks like I’m gonna have to get it rewired at the connector. I’m horrible with this type of stuff, and I don’t wanna short anything out. How much would you guys estimate the cost to re wire both left and right harnesses? It looks like you can just re wire it at the connector, doesn’t look too complicated.

54B1843F-69C9-41C2-99BB-5BA087236E0A.jpeg
1DCFE3B0-1FD3-41E3-9C05-90448597F9E5.jpeg
A6297F49-C73B-4AF1-8F65-CCEDBF69A00A.jpeg

I'd go to where you bought it from. It'll illegal to sell a vehicle without working brake lights.

Don't know if that applies to auction purchases.

I'd go to where you bought it from. It'll illegal to sell a vehicle without working brake lights.

Don't know if that applies to auction purchases.

I looked into this, and since it was an "as is" vehicle, there's nothing I can really do. Plus it would be hard to prove now since it's been about 2 weeks.

It wasn't from an auction, but a used car dealership. It has a limited warranty for 1000 miles, but electrical or nothing like that is covered.

Edit: I'm from PA btw.

That sucks. I'd think even an "as-is" vehicle would need to comply with that as it's a safety device, but maybe not.

That sucks. I'd think even an "as-is" vehicle would need to comply with that as it's a safety device, but maybe not.

I actually think I should call the dealership tomorrow and see if they can do anything for me. It's been about 2 weeks since I drove it off the lot, but It took me about a week to even notice and a few more days to test fuses, take off the tail lights and take out the interior plastic pieces to inspect the wires. Maybe they'll work with me, i'll report back haha.

I thought I was S.O.L. to be honest, so I'll see if they'll work with me.

The worst they can say is no.

Good luck!

Just an update on this, dropped my car off at the dealer and they are fixing it for me. They were immediately helpful when I brought it up to them and showed them. They apologized and said they should have noticed. Appreciate you @TwoEcho27 because without your comment, I probably would have just paid somebody to do it.

Glad it all worked out!!

Back