Question

UtahX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Grand Junction, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
I have a 2000 Explorer. Was cleaning up the rear hatch area, one of the compartment/storage areas in the back had a door loose, so I took it off to put it back on more securely. I noticed for the first time, since owning the vehicle since 2003 that there was a canister looking, with a line running from it. What is it? It was on the driver's side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The rear window washer fluid reservoir?
That would be my guess? Think I know the reservoir they're talking about, been a while since I opened that drivers side panel in the rear. Cant say I ever registered that's what that was either, the pumps front and rear didnt work anyway lol

the only resi back there is the washer fluid, but i thought that was done away with after 97, no? if yours has it, when you flip the hatch open, right above the driver taillight there should be a cap to fill it. wait, nick, yours is a 99, how does it have a rear washer?????? now im confuzzled

the only resi back there is the washer fluid, but i thought that was done away with after 97, no? if yours has it, when you flip the hatch open, right above the driver taillight there should be a cap to fill it. wait, nick, yours is a 99, how does it have a rear washer?????? now im confuzzled
I may be back by my moms place tomorrow morning, can see about checking again, but I do recall seeing a reservoir in there, dont recall ever seeing a cap to fill it over the driverside tail light though

I may be back by my moms place tomorrow morning, can see about checking again, but I do recall seeing a reservoir in there, dont recall ever seeing a cap to fill it over the driverside tail light though
Yeah, I didnt have a cap there, but I am pretty darn sure there was a reservoir for it in there

20211122_133401.jpg

Yeah, I didnt have a cap there, but I am pretty darn sure there was a reservoir for it in there

View attachment 435994
woah, interesting. only seen a res in pre 98 ones. and then past that they were both fed from the front res, and no rear res. interesting. actually, wait..... mine dont even have a rear washer??????????? now im just confused............. since i never seen it in a post 98

woah, interesting. only seen a res in pre 98 ones. and then past that they were both fed from the front res, and no rear res. interesting. actually, wait..... mine dont even have a rear washer??????????? now im just confused............. since i never seen it in a post 98
As said, I'll stop by tomorrow morning, have to climb through since the battery is dead and I cant use the key on the hatch..fun..
But we'll see and I'll come back to this on that, maybe yours was removed before or genuinely some models didnt have it? Though yours is XLT as well though right? Though saying that, some xlts had running boards and mine didnt from factory so.

As said, I'll stop by tomorrow morning, have to climb through since the battery is dead and I cant use the key on the hatch..fun..
But we'll see and I'll come back to this on that, maybe yours was removed before or genuinely some models didnt have it? Though yours is XLT as well though right? Though saying that, some xlts had running boards and mine didnt from factory so.
mine never had it, even new nope, no pic. no res, and no cap. yep 98 XLT. now that i think i dont think mine has a rear washer. hmmmmm

mine never had it, even new nope, no pic. no res, and no cap. yep 98 XLT. now that i think i dont think mine has a rear washer. hmmmmm
As said, maybe some just did and some didnt. Not all XLTs were 4wd, had the SOHC, had boards, etc..so maybe it's a random feature, other than the boards, mine had all the bells and whistles, well, didnt have the leather seats either, but I prefer the cloth

I might just have to take a pic tomorrow. It does not look like a res., more like a fuel canister.

I might just have to take a pic tomorrow. It does not look like a res., more like a fuel canister.
Yeah, feel free, that's interesting. Sure it's not the factory bottle jack? Cause that's kept in there too
Was a bottle jack right?

Okay, I do apologize, knew it didnt make sense, @Fix4Dirt was correct. Must've been mixing up a recent junkyard X I looked at and the fact that the computer back there is tan like several reservoirs, thinking it had been one. So no, mines empty besides that computer, the jack, and some tow package accessories.
The camera didnt flip on the second one, turn the phone counter clockwise, or tilt your head clockwise and it'll look right lol
Was crappy angle so I apologize for that as well, had to climb over a bunch or parts and such lol

20221028_082125.jpg 20221028_082114.jpg

@Fix4Dirt press the knob in for the rear wiper and your washer will turn on

Back