• Register Today It's free!

rear hatch questions

soon2bsick

Reaction score
City, State
florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mountaineer
I need a new back hatch door, mine has more problems than I can even begin to explain. I found someone parting out a 1999 Explorer Sport (2door) and was curious if that back hatch would fit my 2000 four door Mountaineer. They both have the buttons to open the back glass instead of the turn knob back hatch.

second question would be,

will a turn handle rear hatch door work in place of my button rear hatch?

thanks guys

I need a new back hatch door, mine has more problems than I can even begin to explain. I found someone parting out a 1999 Explorer Sport (2door) and was curious if that back hatch would fit my 2000 four door Mountaineer. They both have the buttons to open the back glass instead of the turn knob back hatch.

second question would be,

will a turn handle rear hatch door work in place of my button rear hatch?

thanks guys

Yes the sport hatch will fit. Its the same.

Yes the older style hatch (turn handle) will work , but you would need the older taillights.

also for the twist hatch swap you would need old taillights, as well as the rear bumper from the older truck (nowhere for your plate on the new bumper) as well as matching glass from a late '97, or change all of your glass to match the silvery/gold tint of the 1991- early 1997's.

The 1998+ hatch from a 2 or 4 door would be a direct swap for yours though.

also for the twist hatch swap you would need old taillights, as well as the rear bumper from the older truck (nowhere for your plate on the new bumper) as well as matching glass from a late '97, or change all of your glass to match the silvery/gold tint of the 1991- early 1997's.

The 1998+ hatch from a 2 or 4 door would be a direct swap for yours though.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the bumper.

Back