Back of the rear seats

Dennis J.A.A.

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Orfordville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Interceptor
Since I don't have room for all the electronics I am installing I figured I could mount a plywood board to the back of the left rear seat to mount the 3K inverter and all the relays. Does the back of the seat have a metal plate so that I could use rivet nuts? This would be so advantageous and still have the back for storage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Dennis. I don't really know if they are metal or not in the PIU but I thought I'd just pass this along about the retail units. It may or may not apply to the PIU and the overall seat construction.

Peter

Hey Dennis. I don't really know if they are metal or not in the PIU but I thought I'd just pass this along about the retail units. It may or may not apply to the PIU and the overall seat construction.

Peter
Hmmmm Interesting.
I will call Ford but they usually are as dumb as a box of rocks! (See how pleasant I was?)
If not maybe an upholsterer who works on cars.

I managed to get my big paws in there and found some clips that hold that material together.
Although it is only 1/8" thick I do believe that this will still be good enough to hold the 1/2" board on the back of the seat.
Now I can easily install the 12 way Fuse Box Block, the Renogy 3000W Inverter, the Whelen Air Horn (PAH112) and the Whelen CSP690 Strobe Power Supply along with all the relays in one nice set up.
I will more than likely have to rewire what I have now but I will be MUCH happier with a neat setup. Yes, I have OCD! LOL

ocd.jpg

Asking an upholsterer I would up inserting a 1/4" board behind the fabric then a 1/2" above the fabric and screwing them together.
Then I mounted all the equipment to that!

IMG_2225.JPG

Back