Pedro504

2021 Platinum
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Platinum
I routinely purchase hardwood lumber in small quanties or dimensional lumber for projects.
I'm looking at the Thule system below for my 2021 Platinum. Saw this picture on their website and it looks right for my needs. The TH450R feet are not the same as the picture but are the ones recommended for the square bars.
I'd be purchasing the:
1. SquareBar Evo Crossbars - Steel - 60" Long TH712500
2. Rapid Crossroad Feet for Thule Crossbars - Raised Railing TH450R
3. Thule Load Stops for Load Bars TH503

Any thoughts or recommendations?
1636993261745.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the exact same Thule system on my 2021. The one that has the 450R foot. They work fine with one caveat. When installing the foot on the rear crossbar there is very little room for the strap to clear the space between the roof of the Explorer and the factory rail. I made it work but it is very tight and it required a fair bit of manipulation in order to make it work. On the up side, once installed no one will steal it from you without cutting the rubber strap.

Once installed I did not notice any difference in wind noise inside the cabin. I like the Thule bars, they are stron, look good and will accept a variety of carriers. I think a worthwhile addition.

picked up five 12 foot 5/4 by 6 pine boards for a garden bench project
the Thule system works very well and the load stops securely locked in the 70 pound load

• TH503 Thule Load Stops for Load Bars (Qty 4)
  • TH712500 Thule SquareBar Evo Crossbars - Steel - 60" Long
  • TH450R Rapid Crossroad Feet for Thule Crossbars

IMG_2960(1).JPG

IMG_2962(1).JPG

IMG_2961(2).png

I strongly suggest getting some ratchet straps or slide lock straps and ditch the bungies.

I strongly suggest getting some ratchet straps or slide lock straps and ditch the bungies.
I was thinking the same after unloading yesterday.
This is what I bought and thanks for the heads-up.
1692152547185.png

Ratchet straps are much better for hauling lumber. The clamping pressure is the only thing holding them in place.

I was thinking the same after unloading yesterday.
This is what I bought and thanks for the heads-up.
View attachment 444830
Nice kit, I'm a cheap bastage, and went for these (the orange ones) at Harbor Freight and they actually seem REALLY nice! I cnn't recommend the black ones, my brother in law got those, and the release is wonky on them, always a battle.
1692192426837.png

I used them in/on U-Haul trailers during my recent move, first for a lawn tractor, then furniture/boxes, 3 trailer rentals.
1692192683955.png

1692192774448.png

They worked really well. Even if I toss them now, I got my $8 worth out of them already.

1692192661883.png

I only use the orange binders from Harbor Freight for non critical jobs. They have failed on me in the past. They are what they are.

Back