Did you do a 3" BL on a 95+

Xplodor

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Riverside, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT 4x4
For all those brave enough to do a 3"BL on a 95+ X, what did you do for the e-brake cable? Did you custom fabricate a new brace upfront by the driver door? I have no e-brake because the line couldn't reach back to the original holder. Anyone have pictures of what they did? THANKS!:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have pix, but I did make an extension bracket out of hefty steel and bolted it to the original bracket with 2 bolts. You need some sort of angle iron or channel so it won't bend (my first attempt bent and I had to re-do it).

I've done a 3" BL on my truck, and coolchris's truck and the brake cable was long enough (barely) to reach back to the stock location. . .

Originally posted by Jefe
I've done a 3" BL on my truck, and coolchris's truck and the brake cable was long enough (barely) to reach back to the stock location. . .

WOW...even after screwing with mine for 10 mins on the 2" BL...I said screw it.

Mr. Jefe,

Did you loosen it up anywhere else, or just force it into place? I don't want to break anything.

Originally posted by Xplodor
Mr. Jefe,

Did you loosen it up anywhere else, or just force it into place? I don't want to break anything.
I can't remember if its the parking brake, or the tranny cable that is mounted to the firewall. I think its the brake cable. . .if so, after unbolting it from the firewall it barely reaches. Mine goes in at a slight angle, and is resting against the bodymount bolt, but seems to work just fine.

A pic is worth a thousand words

Went and checked it out:

Yup, unbolt the cable from the firewall as shown:

brake-2.jpg

And see how much you have to play with now:

brake-1.jpg

Thanks dude, I'll try it tonite. I owe you a beer (If your the drinking type)!!!

Are those rock sliders I see?

I don't think Jefe is the drinking type, hehe.

WHOOO HOOOO

THANKS JEFE,

Unbolting it from the firewall worked. I'm so happy I got my e-brake back!!!

Originally posted by Xplodor
Thanks dude, I'll try it tonite. I owe you a beer (If your the drinking type)!!!

Are those rock sliders I see?
Sorry, no beer for me. I'd gladly take a Dr. Pepper though :)

And yes, those are rocksliders you see.

Here is How I did my e-brake cable.....

The Front Body Bracket:

Attachments

• e-brake_front.jpg
    e-brake_front.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 148

And the Rear:

BTW I did the front as it said to in the instructions, with the parts they supplied.

Attachments

• e-brake_rear.jpg
    e-brake_rear.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 145

Thanks!

Back