New Wheels for a 2002 XLT? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Wheels for a 2002 XLT?

Just found the forum, and looking for some insight-

I have a 2002 XLT. Would like to put on a set of "Bullitt" style wheels, and I am not having any luck. I am fine with the 16" Michelin Cross Terrain for tires, but if I have to, I could go with 17" rims and new tires. I want a true "Bolt-On", not interested in shaving down the inside rims of the fronts or changing the sway bar end fittings.

A couple questions-

1. Would a set of "take- offs" from a Mustang work? I get different answers from everyone that I speak with. I think the answer is that they would fit the rear, but that I would have a problem with the center bore on the fronts. What about the load? I would guess that the Explorer needs higher weight capacity.

I would think that the Ford Wheel would be of higher quality. Right?

2. Anyone have any experience with wheels from Dante or Verde? They have similar wheels in 16" and 17" but I have been unable to find their website. Any idea on their quality?

3. Anyone have a 2002 with this style wheels? How does it look?

4. What are the options for the center caps? Is there a standard size? I would like to have the V8 or the SVT logo.

Thanks-

Also- anyone out there put a "Bullitt Fuel Door" on an Explorer? It looks like it would fit.

Welcome! We are all very eager to help. Congrats on purchasing a great vehicle.

I have a 2001 Sport that I run 20" rims on.

DSC00543.jpg

I know that "Spas" has Bullitt rims.

attachment.php

They are from or for a Mustang.

I had custom Center caps made for my Binno rims.

DSC00521.jpg

You can find more info on my wheels HERE

Be sure to check out my home page below and let us know how we can help!

I was looking into 17" Bullit style rims for my 02 X as well. They sell them at Explorer Express. I have a pic of them on the truck, but I don't have a link for you to see them. Call or e-mail Explorer Express and they can hook you up. info@explorerexpress.com or 1-510-236-1220. That is their tech line. As for the load rating on the stock Bullit rims, yes they are fine. You would still need new tires so buying from Ford would not be a good idea. If the tires were the same size then you could get some almost new take-offs, but that won't work for you. As for the centercaps, the Bullit rims don't have removeable centercaps like other rims. Due to their weird size I don't believe that getting custom ones would be easy. And for the last question. I was wondering about the Bullit fuel door as well. I have one on my mustang and the sizes are the same. I just don't know if it will bolt on properly, but I think it will. Hope that helps

i heard mustang rims will work on ex's but what about newer ones? i'm not sure sorry

Back