quick disconnects

zavaral

Furby Murderer
Reaction score
City, State
Moore, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 LMT-XL
what do the quick disconnects look like for the sway bars. i bought my truck used and i have no idea what he(the previous owner) did to it. im saying this cause im going to get some quick diconects and i dont trust the local shops they do anything for money so if i already have it they say i dont.

thx
jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it is a Stocker, then there is a GOOD possibility that you do NOT have Quick Disco's. I would be 99% sure...

it looks like i have the quick disoconnects with out pins you know. see i dont know what stock sway bars look like and i dont know what quick disconnects look like either.

jason

Here is what a STOCK Rear Sway Bar Link looks like on my 97:

Dead Link Removed

it is in the middle of the photo, and the Red Triangle is pointing to it. you can see it is bent at an angle.

Here is a pic of what my front disco's look like
Dead Link Removed

Chris

hey isles is that a home made one. thanks cboug and isles for clearing it up for me. if that is a home made one then ill just make it instead of buying it. i guess i could do that while im doing my lift.

jason

Why custom fab? Just order 'em @ the J@@p shop!

If you have 4" of suspension lift or greater, why not just order up your set and install them. There! No hassle, no questions, no broken fingers.

Here's what I did. I ordered a set of Swaybar Disconnects for an UNLIFTED JEEP CJ. I bolted them on in place of the swaybar links [front suspension], and I called it a day. So, when I want to disconnect for the trail, I just pull a few sets of pins, and away I go!

If anyone has any questions about this, just ask, I tried fabbing quick disconnects and I understand it can be plenty of work. The suspension in the front is more compliant with the swaybar disconnected. One problem I have now is the tires want to connect with the fenders now more than ever since they have more freedom without those swaybars hampering things!

Here are the ones I made.:D
http://kidkodiak.homestead.com/disconnect.html
If you are able to use a few simple tools it is alot cheaper to make them. The only problem I had with mine is my brakelines were too short with the swaybars disconnected. So make sure you have enough slack in the brake line before you disconnect them.

Originally posted by zavaral
hey isles is that a home made one.

Yeah all I did was goto Home Depot... brought the old link bolt to matched up the diameter. I forget what they are called but it is a untheraded bolt with holes drilled in it for hitch pins. Just get a matching set of hitch pins and you are on your way. They do make a little noise while they are connected though.

Chris

Oh yeah, make sure you have a bungie cord to strap the sway bar to the frame while disconnected.

Just run Rancho 9000s and dump the sway bars. Thats what I did, and it works great with the shocks turned up.

Andy

Heres mine:
5215dscn0238.jpg

I would just make them yourself. I spent $10 on front and rear disconnects and about 1 hour spent. It's really easy. I would post some pics, but I don't have any right now.

what all did you use. where did you get it from. thanks yall for the pics. today i just disconnected my front bar. i was going to get a pin for unthreaded screw for it but that didnt work out ill prolly get one tomarrow.

jason

ok yesterday i bought the cotter pins and the hitch pins and i put them in the front. is there a secret to getting the back bolts off. no matter what i did all i could do was take off the nut and thats it the bolt wouldnt move a bit and i also accedently stripped the other bolt on the other side whoops. is there any way i could try to get the back bolts off. thanks yall for the help.

jason

ps i also tried wd 40 but that didnt work expetally when the wind brought it back to my eyes.

You don't have to take them off. Loook at my website for the write-up I just finished. Goto repairs/mods.

ok chris explain it to me on here i have insomniac (sp) and i only get like three hours of sleep and it finally caught up with me. what size drill you use. after you drilled the hole then what did you do next i prsume if im correct you just fit in the quick dis. or was it enought o just pull it out. sry for the dumb questions but i cant get any sleep so im extemly slow right now and my school work show it too.

thx

jason

oh yeah a quick little question about that site. do you have to be in a certain little area or it or what cause i wanna put my truck up somewhere just as long as it cost little to nothing.

jason

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I forget what size the drill bit has to be, but it should make a hole that will fit the cotter pin tightly, but not so tight that you can't pull it out. After you drill the hole, place some washers up to the hole so it is tight with the cotter pin. That's all you have to do. Just leave the pin in until you want to disconnect.

About the website, you can join from anywhere and send me your pics you want. The fee is only $10 per year. Membership includes your member's page, monthly newsletter, and vinyl sticker if you want. If you are close you might still be able to join us on some of our trips.

Back