• Register Today It's free!

lowering???

jlexpo69

Reaction score
City, State
plantation fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 xlt explorer 4 door
i wanna lower my 96 explorer 3" in the back and 2 1/2" in the front is this possible?? my other choice is to lower the back and bag the front .. if ne one has done eith or can give me information on this please lemme knoive been going crazy lookin 4 a way to lower my x .. help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try searching around. You can easily lower the front 1.5-2" by cranking the torsion bars and use lowering blocks in the rear for 2 or 3". Explorer Express also makes a full kit which not only lowers the truck but greatly improves ride and handling.

lowering with the torsion bar and some blocks on the rear is the cheapest way to do it...if you want to put air bags on, you should probably plan on spending quite a bit of money for the bags, air lines, compressors, relays & switches and air tank....most likely around 800$ or more

o0o0

i really wated to slam the explorer but im not haveing much luck even g etting a simpe 2 1/2" in the front and 3" in the back

I think that is the lowest you could lower your truck without bagging it. If your priority is to look good first ride quality second then go ahead and bag it. If you're like most of the members here where ride quality is a must then lower no more than 2" in back, 3" in front... and that's borderline at best.

Good luck!

Originally posted by X-factor
If your priority is to look good first ride quality second then go ahead and bag it.
not true. bagged trucks (when done properly) ride great. most ride as well as their stock counterpart, despite having large wheel/small sidewall setups. there is no doubt that ANY bagged explorer will ride tons better than one lowered 2-3" with the torsion bolt drop.

Do you speak from experience? Have you ridden in an Explorer with a custom air bag set up? I am just curious. I have not experienced a bagged X and I would like to get the opinion of someone that has. You know what an Explorer with an extreme drop rides like.

here is a list from memory of bagged vehicles i have riden in-

97 Tahoe
mid 90's chevy truck
97 F150
mid 90's Ranger

all of these vehicles rode as good as or better than stock to me. even with plus sized wheels. if bagged trucks rode badly, there wouldnt be so many people using them. not many people would be willing to spend $2k-$10k just to get a truck really low. obviously, when "aired down", they ride like crap. but aired up to the "sweet spot", most ride good unless it was a hack job.

i have never ridden in a bagged explorer, but its not gonna be any different than a newer GM or F150. its the same concept, and basically the same engineering. install setup, above all else, is what effects air bag ride quality.

hey John V do u work for explorer express if sodo u know any way i can get a kit for a 2 1/2'' drop in the front and a 3'' drop in the back lemme kno plez thanx

I have ridden in bagged vehicles as well, and they can ride very well if the system is setup right. Some are even as good as stock. Think about it, you're riding on air!

u guys have been alotta help in maken my decision but still f ne one has lowered it as low as i said can u tell me how much u paid or if u have bagged i might wanna jus bag the front and drop te rear intil i have enoug money to do the entire set up

o yah how do i become a elite explorer is there some sort of like certain amount of post ineeda post or somthin i feel like a jit with this wanna be elite stuff

There is no easy way to get 2 1/2" drop and still get the camber right. It can be done, but you need to rework the a-arms, torsion bar keys etc. There is no "kit", it is custom affair. I believe JamesT did it. His is very low and it looks good, I do not think it was easy. I have not heard of a hybrid lowering set up (bags in front/blocks at rear). I do have some 3" lowering leaf springs (Belltech) and 3" lowering blocks (Chasis Tech). The ride quality is better with the lowering block set up. Bottom line, there is no easy way to lower an Explorer more than 2". There is a big price gap between the standard Explorer lowering job and a custom air bag job. A standard 1.5" drop will give you a lowered look, improved handling and a price you can afford. We have the Lowering Kit, Special Edelbrock Shocks, Bumper Kit and upgraded sway bars at Explorer Express.

Attachments

• x-spec suspension web.jpg
    x-spec suspension web.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 242

well ok im trying to understand u john v because i barely know ne thing about lowring im more of a audio guy but n ways i woud like to lowert he back 3" and by what u wrote it seems as tho that is possible as for the front could i lower it 2" i kno i think its steedawho makes a 2" drop for my car all the way around . well lemme kno thanx

Originally posted by jlexpo69
well ok im trying to understand u john v because i barely know ne thing about lowring im more of a audio guy but n ways i woud like to lowert he back 3" and by what u wrote it seems as tho that is possible as for the front could i lower it 2" i kno i think its steedawho makes a 2" drop for my car all the way around . well lemme kno thanx

Is that English?

Originally posted by Alec
Is that English?
I was thinking the same thing! Just remove the torsion bar bolts and viola! 2 inch drop from what I've heard. But alignment is another story! Good luck!

sorry ima young kid and i type fast

your not gonna be able to go more than 2 inches in the front without causing yourslef major problems unless you go and find someone who wants to bag the truck for you.

a bagged truck rides awesome. i have a 96 that is currently 2.5 and 3" dropped and it rides pretty damn aweful so bad in fact that i plan on adding air lift to the rear of my truck so i can have a slightly higher ride height on the highway. every bagged vehicle i've been in has rode substantially better than my own, but most of them have been very old street rods and i've only been in two late models with bags a 97 ranger and a 2000 chevy half ton.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

jlexpo69

The answer to your question is answered in the above posts. Go ahead and read through this section again. There is only so many ways to answer the same question.

Back