Worklog: 7 beats 3... NOT as cool as typhoons | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Worklog: 7 beats 3... NOT as cool as typhoons

hydroxy

I like to fiddle...
Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Limited v6
Well I got the itch to build my own by after watching typhoon's thread on his contruction. What better way to 'need' a new box, then to order more subs?! I ordered 4 mtx 6000s 10" to go w/ the 3 I already have. They will be powered by 2 Pioneer-GMX 962 amps. They are underpowered for now.. wait till summer.

Here is what I started with, i took measurements of my cargo area:
10058Cargo_measurements_REAL.jpg

One I got that, I made a rough blueprint of what I wanted:
100581st_design.jpg

Then I made a cardboard mockup:
10058last_design.jpg

10058100_2709_Medium_.jpg

My original design was to only have 6 subs, however the way it has to be wired, I have to put 7 in to balance the load. The things in the middle are "amps".

Look for updates this weekend when it becomes reality!
Here is a pic of what is currently back there:
10058clean.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

7 beats 3 wasn't intended to mean my 7 will beat typhoon's 3... it means my 7 will beat my old 3.

LOL, it doesn't!!! I was going to start a thread that read, "2 beats 3 & 7" LOL

Ronnie

One thing I forgot to mention... the back will be MDF, the whole front side and top will be fiberglass

Is there any layout that would make the subs appear a little more uniform?

the middle 5 will probably end up looking like:

X..X..X
X......X

instead of the

..x....
X......X

way it is now.

That is a good idea tho to make sure that they look more uniform, I actually hadn't thought of that.

How about 5 facing forward, and 2 facing up??? I think that would probably look the best, though it may not be the easiest.

Hydroxy, I am so sorry, but I must ask you this question. Why in the world are you going with 7 10" subs? Quality over quantity I always say. In my humblest opinion, I think that I would have kept the 3 10's and just added 2 12's or 15's and then bought a high quality sub amp and powered them puppies up for less money. Do you think that 4 more 10's will sound better than 2 more 15's with the correct power pushing them? Plus it would be easier to mount fewer subs.

Ronnie

Originally posted by BBQ_HotDogs
Hydroxy, I am so sorry, but I must ask you this question. Why in the world are you going with 7 10" subs? Quality over quantity I always say. In my humblest opinion, I think that I would have kept the 3 10's and just added 2 12's or 15's and then bought a high quality sub amp and powered them puppies up for less money. Do you think that 4 more 10's will sound better than 2 more 15's with the correct power pushing them? Plus it would be easier to mount fewer subs.

Ronnie
:nono:

Bad idea to mix sizes of subs, you get cancelation. 7 10"s is a good idea for a fuggin lot of output while still giving you deep bass, but will the right woofers and box, you can make 3 10"s painfully loud, to the point where you would never listen to them full tilt.

hydroxy, are you planning on competing?

Edit: and if you can return those, you might want to hear a pair of SI Magnum D2s... :eek: they are NUTS! Two or three D2s would probably be louder than 7 T6000s, much louder.

Than again, you already have them, and if you like them; you like them... I'm not changing that ;)

the reason I chose my current setup is because of $$. I got 4 subs for < $95. I got my 2nd amp for ~$40. This is being built on a tight budget. Which is why it will sit unpainted till summer probably. My 3 10s right now hit pretty hard, I have no real complaints about them. I have gotten used to them tho, so I dont really notice it that much. If the 7 10s dont work out as well as I expect, then oh well. I will have had tons of fun designing and building it up.

Also, how many people have 7 10" subs? I might compete, but I doubt I'd get very far. I havn't even upgraded my speakers yet.

A box that big is not going to be cheap to build. ;)

How many subs does it take for you to say to yourself, "now, this is just too crazy"?

;) :p

I only need 6.5-7'^3. That, before I put the subs in. Yea, it wont be cheap to build, I'm guessing $80ish to build it tho. Relative to how much it costs to build a custom box for any # of subs w/ fiberglass... I dont think it's toooo much higher.

Also, I'll probably have a good amount of MDF afterwards if anyone is interested. 3/4".

to think of all the money that us boys spend on music and sound quality......and there are people starving in India

You will probably need 2 4x8 sheets of MDF for it, they're about $20 a piece, that's $40. You are going to need a LOT of fiberglass resin, probably 4-5 gallons worth. A gallon is $25. You'll need at least 5-6 packs of matting, that's $5 per pack. 5 yards of fleece at $5 per yard. Plus screws, sandpaper, and all other misc supplies you'll need. You need to make sure that this is feasible for you.

I got the MDF today, they were actually 4x9 sheets here. If I need more then one of that, I'm doing something wrong. I have some other 1/2 and 1/4 in board laying around to make the amp rack part, as well as some wood screws. Going to have to buy the liquid nails. The fiberglass is going to set me back a bit tho, I didn't realize how much fiberglass there was going to be on the box... oops. Needed to do a little more research on that one.

I'm probably not going to worry about sanding or anything till summer, because that is when I'll paint it.

Ok, bad bad news. The guy I was doing all the woodwork today with was very big into doing things very complicated. For example, the shelves for the amp rack, instead of just making 4 small legs to hold up each board, and some screws coming in from the sides, he has to cut slots in the walls so that the shelves slide in. This took 45 minutes instead of about 10-15 it should have to just make some legs to hold up the shelves. Also, to make 2 straight, very very simple cuts, it took him 15 minutes. Why? How? I just dont know...
Worked from about 11 - 5 and you can see how little was accomplished.

I also made a gash in my bumper trying to load the huge MDF board in. Which means now I'll have to repaint that part. Since the MDF part of the box is no where near completion, I dont think I'll be able to go do the fiberglassing w/ boominXplorer tomorrow. I might be able to get a lot of it screwed together tonight, but that is looking doubtful.

Hartman: You're prediction on the MDF was pretty close... I think I'll just BARELY squeek by with one piece. Not even sure on that yet, just because of how my leftover pieces are cut and the shape of the pieces I still have to cut.

Pics are on their way....

bumper damage:
10058Picture007a.jpg

To get to this stage took 1hr. All because of the wheel well curves. He wouldn't just square it off.... arg.
10058Picture0021.jpg

working on it...
100581.jpg

A couple more pics whenever my phone starts cooperation and will send them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Simple solution: do your own woodwork!

Are you sure you want to undertake a project this big?

Back