Wife's Christmas gift/ My nightmare | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wife's Christmas gift/ My nightmare

gdcpony

Reaction score
City, State
Sherrodsville, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLs
I promised the wife any SUV she wanted that we could afford. She brought home an '02 Explorer XLS. OK, I would love to drive it, but I just got done with a rear wheel bearing and am about to do a rear coil spring and am looking for the axle seals too (preferably better ones). Oh yeah, and the tune up it needs, the brake shoes that fell off as I removed the rotor, and an interesting problem with the lights. I hope she understands she didn't get the bargain she thought. I hope Ford understands that vehicles should not have these problems at 90k. My Chevy truck has 2 1/2 times the mileage with less problems. And it gets abused for wood hauling, hunting, and me treating it like a tractor.
Sorry, to start with a rant, but it's cold and I am tired of working on this thing already. She is driving my 'Stang (our spare vehicle) less than 48hrs after buying a truck from a Ford Dealer! Great inspection! Quality is the reason they need a bailout in that industry.
Needless to say I'll be asking for allot of help if this thing keeps it up. Thank God the wife works at a NAPA warehouse. It should be fun!
In any case I'm a redneck, hunting obsessed, home mechanic who loves working on cars when I want to, but hate it when I have to. Right now, I'd rather be killing yotes (tagged my limit for deer) than turning wrenches. That I save for spring.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you know that you are covered under the MVDA(Motor Vehicle Dealers Act) That it is wrongful doing and you have a right to fight them through the council? As a consumer that dealership has to stand up to what they sold you. As long as they didnt sell it to you in AS IS condition.

I am very sorry for your findings. I have been a Ford girl my whole life, and have never encountered that many problems all at once.

I hope after all your repairs are complete that you dont have anymore major issues with it :)

welcome

Did you know that you are covered under the MVDA(Motor Vehicle Dealers Act) That it is wrongful doing and you have a right to fight them through the council? As a consumer that dealership has to stand up to what they sold you. As long as they didnt sell it to you in AS IS condition.

I am very sorry for your findings. I have been a Ford girl my whole life, and have never encountered that many problems all at once.

I hope after all your repairs are complete that you dont have anymore major issues with it :)

My lovely wife took a $1000 drop in price for her to sign the AS IS form. She wanted it and she got it. They knew it had issues. I am most upset about the fact that these things are wrong at such a low mileage. I am used to used cars having an issue or two, but this one blew me away. Right now the parts (with her discount) added up to $200 + $25 for having the bearing & hub pressed. Still looking for the seals from NAPA.
I went back and told them that I may not ever cost them a sale with my opinion, but they will never gain one from me either. I sell things from time to time (Mustang going up soon), and if there is a problem I let people know. At least that way they can plan for it.

Sorry to hear about all the issues. Yes many vehicles don't have those problems, but we all know EVERY used vehicle out there will have their share of them. I can only assume the Dealership is in a precarious state and doing everything it can to save $$ and remain in business. The as is form should have been a red flag. Why didn't you go with her to check it out before she signed on the dotted line? It would have prevented all the issues you are now having.

not all ford are like this. my dad has a 94 f-350 and it has 316,x.. miles. we still take it on long trips and pull logs with it. its never had any rebuilding done.

Sorry to hear about all the issues. Yes many vehicles don't have those problems, but we all know EVERY used vehicle out there will have their share of them. I can only assume the Dealership is in a precarious state and doing everything it can to save $$ and remain in business. The as is form should have been a red flag. Why didn't you go with her to check it out before she signed on the dotted line? It would have prevented all the issues you are now having.

It was in the driveway when I got home from hunting. I knew she was looking at one, but not buying that day. Oh well, I wouldn't have caught the coil spring which is the most immediate issue until it caused a problem anyway. I only noticed it while doing the bearing. I tune up every car when I buy it so that is also a freebie (trust me it needed it). I expect a car to have a quirk or two, but not all at once.
I'm getting ready to do the spring now and it doesn't look promising. How do you get at those top bolts?

not all ford are like this. my dad has a 94 f-350 and it has 316,x.. miles. we still take it on long trips and pull logs with it. its never had any rebuilding done.

I've driven Mustangs for over a decade. They are my favorite car. I could get 200k out of one with the 2.3l and then replace the motor with a turbo one. I like Ford, Chevy, and Subaru. I have driven all three with good experiences.
I put that stipulation on the purchase too. It had to be a Ford, Chevy, or Subaru as those are the more reliable ones I have found. If she could have, she would have found a TrailBlazer for the money. Explorer was her second choice. I was kinda happy about it till I found out the issues.
I will get them fixed, but I'll gripe till then! After all, it's 20* outside!

The problems you are having with the '02 are (unfortunately) common for that year. Most of the vehicles that year had broken spring problems and leaking seal issues.

FYI, here's a list of the recalls/TSB's on the vehicle. Note that many of the tsb's aren't for problems, but are for helping the Technicians do their job

Automotive Recall and Technical Service Bulletin Titles for 2002 Ford Truck Explorer 4WD V6-4.0L VIN E.​

TSB Number & Issue Date TSB Title
02M01S6 AUG 04 Recall - Tube Mounted EGR Pressure Sensor Defect
01T02 APR 01 Campaign - Liftgate Glass Bracket Inspection
07-20-5 OCT 07 Body - Rear Door Window Stuck In Up Position/Inoperative
07-12-3 JUN 07 Restraints - Control Module DTCs & Associated Fault PIDs
07-5-8 MAR 07 Battery - Battery Eye Function/Charging/Service
07-4-3 MAR 07 Interior - Leather Wrapping On Steering Wheel Is Loose
07-1-7 JAN 07 Steering - Mercon V(R) Fluid Usage
06-26-1 JAN 07 M/T - Mercon(R) V ATF Usage Information
06-25-15 DEC 06 Body - Aluminum Body Panels - Corrosion
06-22-5 NOV 06 Drivetrain - Rear Halfshaft Seal Oil Leaks
06-21-19 OCT 06 A/C - Heater Core Electrolysis/Leakage
06-19-14 OCT 06 Starting System- No Crank Condition
06-18-16 SEP 06 Engine - Reman Engine Head Gasket Identification
06-15-8 AUG 06 Keyless Entry - Keypad Diagnostics
06-8-3 MAY 06 Cruise Control - Diagnostics Updates
06-4-4 MAR 06 Drivetrain - Limited Slip Differential Chatter
06-2-12 FEB 06 Instruments - Fuel Gauge Drops to Empty/MIL ON/DTC's
05-25-8 DEC 05 Drivetrain - Rear Axle Hub Bearing Noise
05-24-2 DEC 05 Body - Liftgate Glass Applique Damaged/Cracking
05-23-3 NOV 05 Drivetrain - Rear Differential Whine/Hum Noise
05-21-4 OCT 05 A/T, Drivetrain - Shudder in 2nd and 3rd Gear
05-21-7 OCT 05 Audio System - Delayed Power When Switched ON
05-18-7 SEP 05 Electrical - Wiring Soldering/Crimping Service Tips
05-17-8 SEP 05 A/C - Drive Belt Chirp When A/C Compressor Engages
05-16-4 AUG 05 Driveline - Vibration/Boom Between 55 and 75 MPH
05-16-11 AUG 05 Restraints - Seat Belts Slow to Retract
05-13-6 JUL 05 Body - Back Glass Hard to Close/Door Ajar Lamp ON
05-13-13 JUL 05 Engine Controls - Hard or No Start After Short Hot Soak
05-6-4 APR 05 Instruments - False Parking Aid Warnings
05-4-16 MAR 05 Interior - Front Seat Movement On Accel./Decel.
05-3-4 FEB 05 Body - Moonroof Squeak or Rattle Noise
05-3-10 FEB 05 Restraints - Seat Belt Stop Button Service
05-1-5 JAN 05 Body - Rear Windows Inoperative
04-25-2 DEC 04 Fuel System - Hesitation on Hard Sweeping Right Turns
04-24-6 DEC 04 A/C - Moan/Buzz/Groan Noise From Vehicle Rear
04-24-5 DEC 04 A/C/Audio - Defroster/Antenna Grid Diagnosis/Repair
04-24-17 DEC 04 A/T - 5R55W 2-3 Shift Slip/No 3rd gear/DTC's P0733/P0745
04-24-14 DEC 04 Engine Controls - General PCM Programming Procedures
04-22-12 NOV 04 A/T - Hard To Shift From DRIVE to PARK
04-19-6 SEP 04 A/C - Evaporator Core Replacement
04-18-3 SEP 04 A/C - Low Rpm Hooting Noise
04-17-4 SEP 04 Engine Controls - MIL ON/Lean DTC Service Tips
04-15-4 AUG 04 Engine - Timing Chain Rattle Noise
04-14-13 JUL 04 M/T - Shudder/Vibration On 2nd/3rd Gear Acceleration
04-13-7 JUN 04 A/C - Rear Window Defroster/Antenna Diagnosis/Repair
04-13-3 JUN 04 Headlights - Moisture Inside
04-11-1 JUN 04 Emissions - MIL ON/Driveability Issues/DTC's Set
04-4-5 MAR 04 Body - Roof Rack Side Rail Paint Peeling
03-26-3 JAN 04 Brakes - ABS Lamp ON/DTC's C1235/C1236/C1237 Set
03-23-2 NOV 03 Body - Exterior Mirror Glass/Motor Service Tips
03-20-3 OCT 03 Emissions - MIL ON/DTC's Stored/Check Fuel Cap Lamp ON
03-18-1 SEP 03 Keyless Entry System - Service Tips
03-14-8 JUL 03 A/T - Cooler Flushing Service Tips
03-13-6 JUL 03 Engine Controls - No Start Condition
03-11-3 JUN 03 Restraint System - Air Bag Lamp ON/DTC B2292 Set
03-10-6 MAY 03 Fuel System - Throttle Cable Routing/Splash Shield Mods
03-8-3 APR 03 Engine - Oil Level Indicator Markings
03-10-1 APR 03 Paint - Plastic Bumper/Fascia Service Tips
03-7-4 APR 03 A/C - Whistle Noise From Blend Door Area
03-6-5 MAR 03 Fuel Gauge - Intermittently Drops to Empty
03-5-2 MAR 03 A/C - Underhood - Buzz or Flutter Noise
03-5-7 MAR 03 A/T - Converter Housing Fluid Leak Recommendations
03-3-5 FEB 03 Engine Controls - No Start/Hard Start/Rough Idle
02-25-8 DEC 02 Drivetrain - Neutral Tow Availability
02-23-7 NOV 02 Cooling System - Premium Gold Coolant Service Info
02-23-4 NOV 02 Engine Controls - DTC P1635 Set After PCM/IC Replacement
02-21-13 OCT 02 Engine - Cylinder Head Straightedge Surface Check
02-21-6 OCT 02 Engine Controls/Emissions - Exhaust Sulfur Smell
02-20-3 OCT 02 A/T - Fluid Level Checking/Filling Tool & Procedure
02-17-6 SEP 02 A/T - Inadvertent Shift Interlock Disabling
02-17-10 SEP 02 Security System - Central Security Module Service Tips
02-16-4 AUG 02 Audio System - Whining/Buzzing Noise From Speakers
02-17-1 AUG 02 Paint - Premature Clearcoat Cracking Service Tips
02-16-3 AUG 02 Paint - New Polishing Products and Procedures
02-11-4 JUN 02 Aluminum Engine - New Cleaners/Service Tips
02-6-2 APR 02 A/T - 5R55W Harsh Light/Medium Throttle Upshifts
02-5-6 MAR 02 Sheet Metal (Primed) - Preparation Procedure
02-3-2 FEB 02 Engine Control - MIL ON, DTC P0300 or P0301 Set
02-2-3 FEB 02 Engine - Aluminum Block/Head Machining
02-1-4 JAN 02 Engine Head Gasket - Approved Replacement Procedures
02-1-6 JAN 02 Wheels/Tires - Road Force Measurement Equipment
01-24-6 DEC 01 Engine - Oil System Priming Procedures
01-24-5 DEC 01 PATS - Unable to Access/Program Ignition Key/No Start,
01-23-6 NOV 01 Engine Coolant - Propylene Glycol Recommendations
01-22-3 NOV 01 A/T - Buzzing Noise When Torque Converter Engaged
01-21-9 OCT 01 Body - Inspecting Collision Damage With Structural Foam
01-20-7 OCT 01 A/T - 5R55W Ticking Noise
01-20-5 OCT 01 Driveability - Vacuum Leak Detection
01-14-2 JUL 01 A/T - 5R55W Whine/Howl When Cold
01-13-2 JUL 01 Moonroof - Molding Loose/Sunshade Tearing
01-12-6 JUN 01 A/C - Blend Door Actuator Clicking Noise
01-11-1 JUN 01 A/T - 5R55W Soft/Harsh 2nd - 3rd & 3rd - 4th Gear Shifts
01-11-10 JUN 01 Trailer Hitch - Insufficient Receiver Clearance
01-10-2 MAY 01 A/T - 5R55W Cooler Line Fluid Leak
01-10-7 MAY 01 A/T - Indicator Lamp ON/DTC's Set
01-7-6 APR 01 A/T - 5R55W Correct Fluid Checking Procedure

Welcome to this forum That dealer sounds similar to the Ford dealer near where I live except for the fact that this one gave you a discount for being sold as is. This dealer wouldn't do it. Instead they would sell it to you, then tell you when you come back a few days later that you have to leave the vehicle with them. A month later, the car will still be sitting on their lot without even being looked at. Unfortunately, they don't call them stealerships for nothing. It's always a good idea to have the vehicle checked out by a private mechanic before making a purchase. Don't take their word that it's perfect, and doesn't need anything.

Geez JDraper, that list looks like they need to re-build the whole damn truck!!! Scary. Is the list for 03 and 05 as nasty?

The list for any vehicle on the market looks sorta like that. Many TSB's are just informational for the service techs. If you look at the titles, many are diagnostic tools or general practices.

I don't think Ford is all that bad. All manufactures have there problems. I have 314,000 miles on my explorer and the only things I have done are engine cassettes/tensioners, ball joints, and a new trans at 302k. Everything else works flawlessly. I think it's just the luck of the draw when it comes to buying anything.

Back