• Register Today It's free!

2002 v8 tranny issue??

fedyfedz

Reaction score
City, State
Suffolk County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 limited v8
This is going to be hard for me to explain but I will try my hardest. When i first bought my truck i noticed it shifted so smoothly and u could barely feel it. When i put my first stage one intake in which was just a spectre performance filter, i noticed it shifted slightly different, possible harder at some points and slight thumping and didnt do it all the time. When i switched back to stock airbox before my K&N came i noticed it shifted like it used to. Now after i got my K&N CAI and magnaflow catback i notice it does it more. Now it seems if I floor it the rpms climb like normal but there is like a thumping. It doesnt do it all the time. Also if i floor it to like 50-60mph then ease off the gas to half throttle it seems to lag and pause at an rpm then shift into the next gear. Is this just because my A/F ratio is off? Or becasue of my intake and exhaust? Will a tune from henson solve/fix this? Or should i be investigation further or checking something else?

Other info that might help:

2002 v8 90,000 miles k&n intake magnaflow catback.
Im also not sure if the person before me ever changed the fuel filter or spark plugs. I will be replacing those soon. Would old stock spark plugs with 90,000 casue this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

anything?

My trans sometimes takes a long time to shift too, if I am accelerating and let off the gas right as or right before the next shift. Not sure what causes it. But, I try to let it shift before letting off.

any other insight?

Servo Pistons?
I have also read that an intake can cause the transmission to shift slightly worse. I know on my Ex it needs new servo pistons. But if you have a K&N that shouldn't affect it, they should've done their research...:dunno:
What transmission do you have?

Let me do some research and I will be back....

Question: Watch your RPMs on a regular acceleration. Try to keep it a 2K rpm or under, when you hit 20 MPH watch to see if the RPM guage rises, that will tell you if its the servo pistons

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296821&highlight=tranny+flare
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174202&highlight=servo+pistons

The thread I was looking for:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262491&highlight=servo+pistons

Next time you take a drive keep an eye out for this and report back...see if this is the issue, if not we can go trouble shooting to something else.

Outlook.jpg

This is what I mean....

Have you ever replaced the solenoid pack before? -Usually those are starting on their way out around 60K

sweet this was the answer i was looking for i have the 5r55w im pretty sure. I bought the truck with 69000 miles and have no clue what was done before, i never replaced the solenoid pack or spark plugs or fuel filter or little things like that im curious as to what has been replaced. I will check this today and report back one thing i do notice sometimes while driving is if im at normal acceleration to between 40-50 sometimes when it goes to change into gear it sounds like it revs first then goes into a gear. almost as if you were in a manual and tapped the gas in between gears with your foot on the clutch. Looks like i might have a flare situation arising. What is some precautionary steps I can take?

Almost all 55R5 are prone to this...

As for precautionary steps; nothing really. Just have live with it until it gets worse; which it slowly will get worse.
Mine needs replacement within a year to 2 years, it shifts bad. Since I've put 6K on the truck within the 4 months I've owned it, I noticed now its gotten worse, but I can't afford the price of replacement (don't know how much).
After the servo piston and solenoid packs are replaced the transmission will shift smoothly.
Make sure to get a transmission flush too

Good news. I took it out for a test drive today, it shifts fine through every gear. I wouldn't say it's any firmer, just nice smooth shifts through all the gears, and, no flashing dash lights. So far I'm calling it a success.

I still have a fluid level check to do and repair a couple broken off bolts at the trans crossmember. I'll have some pictures to put up after I get some free time this weekend.

Let me know the results of watching the shift points...

I checked my rpms today any did notice anything. Is this supposed to happen every time? Like i said earlier it only happens once and awhile.

well, this issue is one (if i am correct on the diagnosis) that it will happen once in a while. Generally you will notice it more during cold shifts and once the transmission is warmed, it generally won't do anything abnormal.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thought I'd chime in and say this is all the same symptoms my 02 Mounty has. I've only owned it six months and have put 7k on it (118k on the clock), and I think it's noticeably worse since. In addition to the slip between shifts, which happens maybe 50% of the time, mine shudders when it hasn't warmed up yet. Had the tranny flushed this summer and it didn't help much but maybe a little. No problems with O/D.

I'm ignoring it untill it's a bigger problem.

ok so i now I will need servo piston and solenoid pack, any one now how much that will run me? Can I do it myself? Also that issue doesnt bother me that much but the problem about the thumping is annoying the **** out of me. Only happens sometimes, if i floor it or half way on the gas it feels like its thumping through the rpms i still accelerate normally. And i noticed its been happening more, when i drive with people there like what the hell is that , and i say "I don't Know", is this related to the servo and solenoid?

Ford has a tsb for shuddering feel on acceleration for new 44 module. Here is the tsb. Printable View (7 KB)
TSB
05-21-4 SHUDDER IN 2ND AND 3RD GEAR ON ACCELERATION - 4X4 VEHICLES WITHOUT ADVANCETRAC

Publication Date: October 5, 2005

FORD: 2002-2003 Explorer

ISSUE:
Some 2002-2003 Explorer 4X4 vehicles without AdvanceTrac (Interactive Vehicle Dynamics - IVD) equipped with an automatic transmission may exhibit a shudder in 2nd and 3rd gear on acceleration. This condition may be more pronounced when the vehicle is under load.

ACTION:
Replace the 4X4 control module following the procedure in Workshop Manual Section 308-07A. Refer to the Part Application Table for the correct part number to install.

Part Application Table
Build Date (Off Build Plate) Build Plant 11th VIN Digit Part Number
Built prior to 3/4/2002 Louisville U 1L2Z-7E453-A
Built on or after 3/4/2002 Louisville U 2C5Z-7E453-A
Built prior to 3/11/2002 St. Louis Z 1L2Z-7E453-A
Built on or after 3/11/2002 St. Louis Z 2C5Z-7E453-A

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
052104A 2002-2003 Explorer 4X4: Replace The 4X4 Control Module Includes Time For Road Test To Verify Concern (Do Not Use With 7453D, 7453D1) 0.7 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7e453 42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2005 Ford Motor Company

Sorry to ask a stupid question but replacing the 4x4 moduke will correct this?

Has anyone got a price on a new module yet? My 03 V8 seems to be doing the same sort of pissfarting around , and considering my other car is an automatic Nissan Skyline which shifts bang on and firm everytime it makes the Ford feel even worse, Its really starting to bug me

Also is it something thats possible to do myself?

cheers guys

just wanted to bump this to see if anyone has a part number or price or any info on this at all??

I had a look at the directfordparts website but cant seem to find the module listed on there. can u find it??

Have you guys tried the brown wire mod? Not sure if this is the chatter/lag you are refering to but my x in auto 4 will kick the transfer case in and out while under load, resulting in a weird jerking pull. i usually unhook the brown wire except when its icy out. also, i bought an sct x3 and when i reflashed the x i turned the shift pressure up as far as it would go (~35%) and it resulted in WAY better shifts.........sometimes i wonder if thats the reason i havent had to replace my tranny yet....idk just 2 cents from a n00b.

my auto 4x4 doenst kick in at weird times i think it depends on ur tires if thats happening or something else, and the brown wire mod would be pointless for me casue i dont have LS only one wheel spins normally and when its in 4x4 back right rear spins and front left(I need to do an axle swap!!)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just wanted to bump this to see if anyone has a part number or price or any info on this at all??

on another thread im part of it discusses this whole situation the part is under transfer case i believe on the silver state website. I will be ordering this in the spring as to mines not that bad yet...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=163694&page=13

Guys, I tried searching on the Silver State Ford Parts Website 3 different times and couldn't find the listing for the 4x4 Control Module. Then I remember what I did when I ordered mine last February.

Go to the Contact Us section on their website and fill out all the info. Make sure you include your VIN and they will tell you the part number and the cost along with how to order it. Then you can order it using the part number.

You must order the part using their website to get the discounted price!

Hope this helps out.

Back