034x4's D44 SAS thread... | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

034x4's D44 SAS thread...

I think this is my first post here, but i've used this board for alot of research on explorer and ranger SAS. So i finally decided i should post my project and it's progress so far.

The truck originally is a 2003 edge 4x4. 37,000 miles with 4.10's/LS.
I had 3" body lift, fiberglass front fenders and cut rear fenders to have plenty of clearance for 35x12.50 BFG mudders. Made a trip down to savannah and on the way home my passenger hub bearing pretty much exploded. Taking with it, the pass knuckle, caliper, rotor, bent inner tie-rod, ground flat outter tie-rod. I already had the D44 in preperation for the SAS but with this, i decided to go ahead and start on it.

This is the ranger, in the beginning.

7cbc01ed.jpg

After the bearing failure, at 70mph on I-75 north...

2a08b95d.jpg

33975f5e.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IZwack said:
do they just drill new holes on the rotor?

basically...

The only problem with redrilling a 5x4.5 to a 6x5.5 is that one (1) hole will crossdrill into another hole, IMO no big deal

You could always weld-up the 4.5" holes before the 5.5" holes are drilled, but why bother?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

redranger4.0 said:
i did the opposite i converted my front 6 lug to 5 lug and it was pricey, in hindsight i would have gone with 6 lug rear but what ever. my conversion was more expensive cause im using all new parts, brand new spindles, rotor/hub assembly.... so eventually i figure ill move up to 1 ton so its not really a big deal

I converted my front as well from 6 lug to 5 lug. In a sence it would have been cheaper to convert the rear to six lug if i reused all the 6 lug stuff that came with the axle. However why do all that work and not put new bearings ball joints roters etc into the front end. I think when it really is about a push to go eather way I went 5 lug cause I got a good deal rims and tires that were 5 lug. One thing is 6 lug uses bigger front bearings then the 5 lug does.

"One thing is 6 lug uses bigger front bearings then the 5 lug does." - RockRanger

Not necessarily true. It depends on what spindle was used in the axle, small bearing or large bearing, both were used.

you have to use chevy small bearing spindles for the 5 lug conversion though

The shafts are from Dutchman motorsports as Yomie said earlier. They are superior chromoly with 6x5.5 flange. $225

The front d44 i replaced every single thing on the axle, with brand new parts, except the hub itself and the caliper brackets. I kept it 6 lug because, I wanted to, and how many 6-lug rangers are there?

I'm getting the rotors redrilled on monday. After i find some u-bolts and spring plates that will fit the 31 spline 8.8, i'll have wheels and tires on the back sitting on its own weight, and a driveshaft (if it's long enoung).

Tomorrow (i got my steering box back and pitman arm drilled) i will be bolting up the steering, getting pressure hoses made, and making the steering shaft. So hopefully if all goes well, I will have functional power-steering tomorrow. No hydro-assist as of yet, PSC is backordered, so I'm just plugging the assist ports for now.

Sounds good J. I'm working now so my only garanteed day off is sunday, i don't know when my other day is yet.

I just found out i could get discounts on Swampers :D

034x4 said:
I'm getting the rotors redrilled on monday. After i find some u-bolts and spring plates that will fit the 31 spline 8.8, i'll have wheels and tires on the back sitting on its own weight, and a driveshaft (if it's long enoung).

I used ubolts for an f150 and made my own springplates. I asked for some f150 Ubolts for use with a 2" block. Biggest differnece is they are 9/16" instead of 1/2" used on the rangers and they fit a 3.25" axle tube. I made some spring plates out of 1/2" steelplate. If the junkyards wern't a 30 min drive each way plus the time to get them I would have just snaged a pair there instead of makeing my own.

Good score on those shafts. I might have to order up a pair eventually to put in the rear.

LOTS OF PICS. My power steering is hooked up, and fully functional. If i had brake lines and shocks, the front would be complete (minus hydro-assist, ram is backordered).

Pressure and return lines...

c5d48aab.jpg

Steering box in place...

b1dca624.jpg

Steering shaft, completed.

a3ec514a.jpg

Steering box with shaft attached.

ba5032fa.jpg

Drag link and box installed...

8ab39e42.jpg

69e9786a.jpg

It's running, and these are shots of it right after i turned the wheel.

Left...

eccc5a7e.jpg

Right...

ff75dc22.jpg

Pitman arm is one spline off, thats why i have less steering turning right, if it rains tomorrow I get work off and i'll rent a pitman arm puller and fix it.

Congrats man. Looks great. We'll definitely all have to get together and wheel sometime in early 06. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

That steering shaft angle is a little severe. You gonna paint the axle any certain color or leave it the way it is? Looks good!

j602 said:
That steering shaft angle is a little severe. You gonna paint the axle any certain color or leave it the way it is? Looks good!

The shaft angle actually isn't very bad, there is still alot of travel left in the joint at the box. This angle is also sem-unnavoidable now, because of the body lift, but when i take that out, it will be alot better.

The axle is green, and I'm leaving both axles green. Diff covers will be black.

have you done all the welding yourself ? if so what kind of welder do you have ?

Lincoln arc 220v. Majority of the welding i've done myself. The stuff I didn't do, my room-mate who is taking welding classes did.

Glad to see a lot of Georgia guys doing a build thread for their trucks. The amount of info and ideas is helping alot. Looking forward to finishing my truck with all of your help with these threads. 034x4 that is one impressive ride, can't wait to see your finished truck. Yomie, the waggy is still sitting there but the gate to the junkyard as been locked all week. Don't know if M&S owns the yard might want to give them a call about it. They're in the book if the number I gave you didn't work.

so when you gettin those beadlocks? im very anxious for some progress!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

JS91X said:
so when you gettin those beadlocks? im very anxious for some progress!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

Me too man, it's been rainin some here, supposed to tomorrow and tuesday. Beadlocks take 2-2.5 weeks to make from date of order till I get them.

Gotta rent a pitman arm puller to move it one spline to the right (my mistake :rolleyes: )

trying to figure out brakelines still, Yomie told me RE lines will work. But from their site they are $$$.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did those Trail Ready's run you w/ shipping? Did you get the steelies or the aluminums?

I got the steelies. $888 plus 105 shipping from shaffers.

Here's ya some progress JS91X.

Moved my truck forward...

15f31db1.jpg

244e60a9.jpg

Got the bed sittin on some 31" MT/R's...

13660429.jpg

Narrowing ~8" on each side...

771c6a77.jpg

Drivers side cut.

1cbd3f17.jpg

Both sides cut. Inside of bed rail at cab = 54". At tailgate = 37". Narrowed a total of 17" at the tailgate side of the bed.

07f9d26d.jpg

b82e40f5.jpg

6fa1f9d4.jpg

Merry early christmas. lol.

912bc62f.jpg

Back