'91 Ford Explorer won't go into reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'91 Ford Explorer won't go into reverse

TobyR

Reaction score
City, State
Vallejo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford
My Explorer won't go into reverse. My Explorer will still go into drive, it just won't shift into reverse.

Does anyone know what might be wrong and if it might be a pricey or long fix? I either have to get the Explorer fixed by tomorrow or go out and get a new car. Basically i'm screwed coming or going on this one.

It's also a automatic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I honestly don't know. I really don't know very much about cars.

I just know my transmission won't go in reverse. The reverse lights won't even go on.

I did a quick test and it seems all of the other gears are working, just not reverse. The car actually started to move a bit forward while I was trying to see if the car would pop into reverse.

Check the linkage. I believe the process is to block the tires, disconnect the shift cable at the transmission, have someone hold the gear shift dead center in "D" on the column. Then move the shift bracket on the transmission forward until it is in park, then back exactly 3 detents (R, N, D) which is "D" in the transmission world. Adjust the cable until there is no slack in either direction so that the column and transmission are in perfect sync.

When I did my valve body rebuild there was a modification to the manual valve that does the shifting. The stock system could allow the valve to move further than expected and energize (slowly burn) the forward clutch. There is a kit to limit its movement. The Z-link could also be bent or the valve's link hole could be bored out and have too much play.

Luckily there are a few things you can do to check the system WITHOUT having to drop the transmission! If after adjusting the linkage there is still a problem with reverse I'd drop the pan and check the condition of the fluid and look for debris in the bottom.

(Some people would recommend to just check the torque of the valve body bolts and look for gasket leaks, but since you've already dropped the pan and lost the fluid there is no sense to waste it and start all over again if you have to go back in IMHO.)

Remove the reverse servo piston cover CAREFULLY because it is loaded with a BF spring. Check the condition of the gasket, piston and the seal around it. If they look good, then it is probably worthwhile to rebuild the valve body (not as scary as it sounds, I thought it was like fun brain surgery) to make sure all the valves move freely and replace the gaskets to ensure there are no leaks. Just make sure to use all new gaskets. Call around to a couple of shops to see if they have the valve body gasket kit and new filter in stock. I think I got mine at Napa, in stock. Then make sure you torque it all down to the proper spec. After it is all back in the car you might want to also adjust the bands.

There is a wonderful thread by Glacier991 below on doing a valve body rebuild in the A4LD that starts halfway down the page in this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101571&page=3

You might want to also see if you can get the ATSG A4LD manual. Send me a PM for more info.

The reverse band is cast iron and solid when compared to the other bands. It could have also gone bad, but to get to it you have to remove EVERYTHING in the case in a full rebuild. Let's see if we can avoid that first...

GOOD LUCK!

My Explorer won't go into reverse. My Explorer will still go into drive, it just won't shift into reverse.

Does anyone know what might be wrong and if it might be a pricey or long fix? I either have to get the Explorer fixed by tomorrow or go out and get a new car. Basically i'm screwed coming or going on this one.

It's also a automatic.

Some years ago, I went for 6 months without reverse on a car. You simply have to be creative about your parking.

And, if this happened to me today, I'd use it as an excuse to buy... maybe a street-legal dirtbike, you know, fun, but practical, good on gas.

A4LD - No/delayed reverse engagement (forward ok)

As a follow-up, here is a summary of the diagnosis steps for your condition:

1. Check fluid level

2. Check manual linkage (as described above)

3. Check hydraulic pressure (probably not necessary if you have forward gears)

4. Check reverse servo piston, gasket and seal

5. Check the torque of the valve body bolts

6. Check for dirty or sticking valves

7. Check condition of the transmission filter

8. Inspect front pump (again, probably fine if you have all forward gears)

You simply have to be creative about your parking.

LOL! Or always park on a hill! I don't think I could deal with that annoyance for that long. Nor the complaining by the spouse to get it fixed!

LOL! Or always park on a hill! I don't think I could deal with that annoyance for that long. Nor the complaining by the spouse to get it fixed!

You dont necessarily have to park on a hill just always make sure you can pull forward. I bought my X in March and drove it the first month without reverse. Never realized until I got it back how much I missed it. Luckily for me the previous owner was a good man and paid for a professional rebuild since he knew it was a problem he had put a band-aid on and did not disclose the info when I purchased it. Good luck.

i have a manual 5 speed and 5th is tough to put in, and reverse i had to hold it down and it would pop out and grind and now it wont even try to pop in, i was wondering if anyone would know if maybe its just a bent shift fork or have any pics or video i could check out so i could get a better idea? so i could try to make a cheap fix.. thanx Ford Nation

i have a 91 explorer 4.0 5 speed manual 4x4 that shifts into the first four gears fine but 5th
is hard and it is stiff and it wont shift into reverse. could it be a bent shift fork? or something i can adjust? or a cheap fix? if anyone has any pics or video i could check out i would be very grateful to try to make this an easy fix.. thanx Ford nation

It's also a automatic.
Hi Toby! What was your problem? I’m having the same issue with this 91 Ford Explorer

Do you have manual 1st gear? Are there any transfer case issues?
When I take out my transmission and remove the transfer case do I need to add transmission fluid to it too or will the transmission itself fill up the transfer case?

Fluid doesn't travel between the transmission, and the transfer case. Each one is a separate unit. Use the correct fluid in each one. The transmission fluid has to be checked while the vehicle is in park with the engine running on level ground.

Fluid doesn't travel between the transmission, and the transfer case. Each one is a separate unit. Use the correct fluid in each one. The transmission fluid has to be checked while the vehicle is in park with the engine running on level ground.
Okay, and the transfer case when I remove that do I need to add fluid back in?

You might lose fluid removing the transfer case so check the level after it's installed.
Okay, so if I remove the transmission.... do the transfer case still hold its fluid?

Some fluid might leak from different locations since it's being tilted. Either way, fluid is made to be replaced so it can't hurt to use new fluid. You could put a pan underneath while you're working to catch leaking fluid. Keep in mind that the transmission & transfer case weigh more with fluid than without fluid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back