Cheapest place to get a dry ZEX kit? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cheapest place to get a dry ZEX kit?

Foo

Reaction score
City, State
Ashland, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4x4, 4.0L!
Well I've been looking around and havn't seen much less than for what zex sells them for, I'm wondering if anyone has seen the kits for the sub $600 range.

Also I plan to use the 75hp, is there really anything to worry about with this kit because from what I see running lean or detonation doesn't seem "all" that possible/easy?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd have your chip reburned with a switched nitrous program. Both running lean and too advanced are possibilities.

Alec said:
I'd have your chip reburned with a switched nitrous program. Both running lean and too advanced are possibilities.

I've been thinking about that, but how is apten about getting stuff done anymore without Brian? I'm not gonna send my chip in and then wait for 2 months.

honestly i don't know. but i wouldn't run a 75 shot without it. maybe a 55 shot if your chip has a stock setting.

Don't use nitrous with a chip thats programed for N/A! all a Zex kit does is use bottle pressure to determin how much vacuume to throw at the FPR to get a good Fuel/Nitrous mix. It does nothing to compensate for the computer leaning out the engine a bit and more timing from the chip. A Zex system does not tap into the stock EFI system. Just the TPS.

If you plan on using nitrous I'd pull the chip or turn it off. I'm not sure about what Nitrous levels the 4.0's can handle as I've never juiced one. Alec has had Nitrous on a 4.0 so I'd trust what he says.

Well, considering my chip is programemd for to use 89 octane 'performance', what if I ran premium? just trying to keep my hopes up ;)

Also, still waiting on a response from apten about getting my chip re-burned or buying a new one. But it looks like that company has lost a lot after losing brian.

The premium may help, but the ignition timing is more of an issue.

Negative on that one. You can run it but don't be surprised if something goes BOOM!

A few points in octane will not make up for 3-4 degree's of timing.

Alright... well has anyone got in contact with apten lately? I can't get a word out of them :(

And aso has anyone found any cheaper prices?

Summit or jegs will have a pretty good price and will get the kit to you in about 2-4 days :)

$508 from summit which is pretty good, saves me about $100 that I can use on a purge kit I guess.

I still HAVE NOT recieved a reply from apten so I'm at a loss about what to do. I'll probably just end up trying to sell my chip and getting a new 4 program one from apten I assume.

I'm probably also going ahead and getting new wires and plugs soon also.

here's the plan, order a dry kit friday.

Remove current chip, run 87 octane, Install and run a 55 shot for now ( I still don't understand why it wouldn't keep up with a 75 shot exactly, throw me an explanation becuase I don't understand why 20 Hp worth of nitrous is that big of a difference).

Sell chip, get new one. Then run 75 shot.

Also do I need to worry about my spark plugs?

The stock computer can only handle so much timing and fuel adjustment. In my experience it can't keep up with 75 and can barely keep up with 55. You should run 93 when running nitrous. And you don't need to worry about your plugs unless you're using the nitrous a bunch (as long as they're in good shape and don't have too much gap).

Nitrous hates platinum. Run Copper ones 1 range colder with a .035 gap.

well I came back to this It seems you two have a difference of opinion on what plugs to run.

What about copper ones in the same heat range? and I assume motocraft makes these? any other suggestions?

You'll want to run 1 range colder for best performance. You'll notice 0 difference without the nitrous.

Autolite makes plugs that should fit no problem. I'm not sure which plug the V6's take. They are cheap which is the best part. About 89 cents a plug :)

Back