• Register Today It's free!

Why I Hate My New 2006 XLT V6

joeshaw

Reaction score
City, State
Blacksburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Saturday, I traded in my 1998 4.0L SOHC V6 XLT for a new 2006 V6 XLT.
Now, I'm starting to wish I hadn't.

Sure, it rides and handles great, and looks pretty good too. But there are several things that my old 1998 Explorer could do that this one can't.
The 2006 model seems to have lost some of the Utility that my 1998 had. My 1998 was a true SUV, the 2006 is just an SuV.

Things I Can't Do With My 2006 that I Could with the '98:

1. There is no good place for semi-permanantly mounting a scanner or CB. On the '98, I had them on the dash, wedged in under the windshield, where they stayed in place since the dash sloped toward the windshield. On the 2006, the dash is either dead flat or slightly slopes AWAY from the windshield. Can no longer wedge anything in there, and the little depression in the center intended for holding stuff is poorly shaped for holding anything - even worse than a flat surface would be for my needs purpose.

2. The huge ridges on the roof don't leave enough flat surface for mounting any decent sized magnet-mount antenna. The only available flat surface left is on the side of the moonroof, which doesn't leave enough surounding metal for a decent ground plane and looks silly too. Even for the smaller antennas, I suspect the new roof waffles disrupt the ground plane enough to negatively effect my reception, allthough I haven't owned the '06 long enough to be able to accurately quantify this.

3. The rear cross member on the new style roof rack can not be moved far enough back to use an a handhold for safely standing on the back bumper.
While not it's intended use, I did that hundred on times on my 1998 Ex. with no noticable detrimental effect on the roof rack. I never hauled anything on the roof on my '98, and won't on the '06. So the roof rack is now entirely useless to me.

4a. Store miscellanous stuff within easy reach of the driver's seat.
4b. Place 12v accessories somewhere safe while the passenger seat is occupied.
Both of these (and annoyance #2 below) were caused by moving the shift lever from the steering column to the center console. The salesman explained that the reason for that was to help enable a collapseable steering column for occupant protections in collisions. Perfectly understandable, even welcome. But the side effect of this is the loss of places for putting all the various little knicknacks and accessories that always end of being left in the car in convienent reach of the passenger seat. Pocket notebooks, pens, sunglass cases, packages of gum/mints, pens, and what have you. The cup holders need to stay free for their primary purpose, so there is no place left. The tiny depression on top of the dash is too far away for most pluged in accessories, and too shallow to trust to hold smaller items.

5. Retreive a tissue without straining a muscle. It is too awkward to lift the center storage hatch to remove a tissue while driving. The need to lift the hatch isn't the problem, it's the contortion necessary to remove the tissue from the underside of the hatch.

New annoyances:
1. The biggest problem of all, since it is potentially a safety issue when driving at night, is that all lights in front of the vehicle are reflected on the hood. Oncoming headlights, taillights, reflective street signs, reflector in the road and on guard rails, even the white lines on the road. Very distracting.
Even with the seat as low as it goes, and the seat as far back as I can safely move it and still reach the petals, I can still see them. I am only 5'11", fairly average, so this can't be a problem only for the freakishly tall. (In fact, I doubt anyone over 6'2" would even fit without reclining the seat way back.)

2. The center shift lever is so big it gets in the way of removing a drink from the drink holders. Sooner or later this will cause a spill. I understand the collision safety reasons they moved the shift lever there from the steering column (see above), but does the lever need to be so honking HUGE? I've owned and driven other vehicles with center shift levels, but I don't remember this problem with them. If they didn't want us drinking while we're driving, why did they put cup holders in?

3. A signifigant portion of my driving miles occur with either a laptop or sizeable camera bag on the front seat (usually off, but often on and logging radio data or downloading photos from the digital camera). With the '06, I now get a large, annoying 'passenger airbag off' light. At night, the amber warning sign is too bright and distracting. I understand the reason they have the light, it makes sense for a family vehicle. But it doesn't fit my normal driving habits, and there does not seem to be a way to disable or adjust this behavoir. (And yet, I can disable the seat belt warning, although I've never wanted to...) At least for this one, black electrical tape should provide an easy if ugly solution.

4. Why do the headlight come on when I unlock the doors? The owners manual says the interior lights should come on when I do that. Interior lights, and the underside mirror entry lights are good. The '98 did that. But that is no reason for the headlights to come on. hopefully this is something I can turn off and just haven't figured out how yet.

I know there were more, but it's late and I'm too tired to think of them right now.

Unfotunately, these issues that don't present themselves on a simple test drive. They don't show until your try to move your life into your new vehicle. Had I been able to test drive the 2006 for an entire weekend, I would not have purchased it. Instead I would have kept my '98 until I could find a suitable alternative that better fits me and my driving/lifestyle.

I'm not even counting the differences that I know I'll adjust too, like the odd door handles, the 'wrong side' fuel fill, the smaller speedometer, the missing shift lever on the steering column I keep reaching for, etc. These I know I will adapt to eventually -- there is always an adjustment period with a new vehicle.

It's a shame, really. I want to like my vehicle, because in general it seems to be a nice vehicle, and does have some wecome new features. Plus, I already signed the check and papers....

I can't be the only one who has had to deal with some or all of these problems. Please, if you have solved or worked around some of these issues,
please share your solution. Even if you 'felt' the problem but just learned to live with it, it might give me hope that I too will eventually learn to adjust.

Joe Shaw
Blacksburg, VA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you test drive and really think about the '06 before you bought it? they have kind of been that way since '02.

Did you test drive and really think about the '06 before you bought it?

Did I test drive it? Yes.
Did I think about it long/hard enough? Apparently not....
Point taken, lesson learned. Looking to move forward with resolutions.

#1 I recognized at the dealer, thought I could find a way to work with it, but my initial anticipated solution didn't work out very well in practice. At worst I'll just mount a board I can attach brackets too. Ugly as heck, but it will work.

#2 - I should have looked, but it never occured to me they would screw up the roof line that bad. I can't say I've seen a roof quite that uneven before.
Not sure what I'll do about this, its a pretty serious limitation for me.

#3 I didn't realize how often I had used the roof rack as a handhold until I tried to do it on the new one. I guess I just assumed it could be adjusted further back. My mistake for not checking. Any aftermarket roof racks available that might fit the need?

#4 I'm sure most owners have addressed this already, just looking for some good ideas.

#5 Told the salesman it was a stupid location when he showed me, but didn't think it was a big enough reason alone to not buy it.

Annoyances #1 through #3 wouldn't have occurred up during a normal test drive. #1 and #3 are really only night-driving concerns, who test drives at night?

Still looking for some helpful suggestions.

they have kind of been that way since '02
Good idea, I'll check the older forums for ideas. I know I checked this forum and didn't see anything to scare me off. Didn't think about checking the older models - I never reseached them since I didn't start thinking about replacing my '98 until recently since it has been so reliable for so long.

Thanks,
Joe

Sorry you don't like your new vehicle. Some of the things you mentioned are understandable and I had the same concerns but I found ways around them, others appear to be unique to you.

The one that surprised me the most was the air bag off light. You must have a very heavy bag on there to make the light come on or mine isn't working correctly. I can have a coat, brief case and other assorted items on the passenger seat and not have the airbag light turn on.

I suspect that with time you will change your habits and learn to appreciate the new vehicle for what it is, a great riding, comfortable vehicle.

There are annoying things about mine too but they are overshadowed by the cool things about it. I just can't wait till I get off work so I can drive mine again :)
________
Kawasaki KLX125A

I agree with your observations about the 06. I have an 05 XLT, and some of your comments do not apply--column shifter, lots of places to put things, and some do--roof moldings, rack, etc. I haven't noticed reflections at night, but then my X is Mineral Grey. I spent some time in an 06, and I don't like the instruments--little tiny gas gauge, no oil or battery indicator--and the shifter does take up a lot of room. I haven't driven an 06 at night yet, but probably will soon (I'm a driver for a rental car company). Hang in there, I still miss my 86 Nissan King Cab--wrecked-not traded, but my X is a great replacement.

Well, I can sympathize. Nothing stays the same, even the good things. I'm still lamenting that they don't make an Explorer with a manual transmission anymore. And what happened to the voltmeter and oil pressure gauge? Looks like Ford decided to save money or they figure the average driver doesn't know how to read a gauge. Doesn't Explorer's competition have gauges?

You can work around some of the problems and that is part of the fun and challenge of a new vehicle. For true "enthusiasts", no vehicle will meet everyone's needs straight from the factory.

On the roof racks, the Euro-style rails are pretty much standard, so I'm sure that you can get better crossbars from Yakima, Thule, or others.

For the CB radio, consider one of the remote radios that will slip under the seat and have all the controls on the mic. Cobra makes one that gets good reviews. Check the trail communications forum on this site. For the antenna, some manufacturers like Diamond and Comet make antenna mounts that attach to the roof rails. You will have to find a way to pick up ground. Again, check the trail communications forum for antenna ideas.

On the gauges, there is lots of aftermarket stuff out there for any taste.

Approach the shortcomings as a challenge and you'll soon get mod fever. Give it time.

Bob

what kind of chesse do you want with that whine

what kind of chesse do you want with that whine

Touche'. Ouch, thanks I needed that. OK, I won't whine anymore.

Bwana Bob

i think the 4th gen explorers are very very nice. ive had an 02 for a little over a year now and i love it, theyre maybe only like 1-2 things that i would change on it, like power issues and small things like the old nasty green guages but other than that its nice, my bro just got a 2006 limited 3v and let me tell you, that thing is niiiiice, i love the power it puts out, i love the slightly dif exterior and some of the minor changes like auto headlights/fogs when unlocked.....ofcourse theres gonna be some small things that people dislike about, for me its those godawful door panels/handles for the inside, and i also agree that the shifter in the console is unpractical and just plain gross looking........im sure the people at ford put alot of thought into the changes on each new model to benefit the customer best.....

i was going to trade my 95 in for a new one but the interior seems smaller to me something about them i don't like i donno yet lol

I traded my 98 XLT for an 06 XLT this past weekend. I prefer the shifter on the column for the same reasons as you. Overall, I find the improvements over the 98 outweigh the deficits. Somehow, I have managed to use the cupholder in my 03 5-spd Mach 1 without a spill for 3+ years. I will manage with this one too.

Change can be tough. And eventually I would have had to upgrade from the 98, as I was hearing some funny sound from the engine.

I haven't noticed the hood reflection problem. Maybe my height or the seat adjustment is the difference. Sounds, like you need to get creative and find some acceptable solutions to your main issues and live with the rest.

Personally, I am loving my 06 so far. X-plan + $5000 cash back goes a long way toward improving the new car buying experience.

Well, I would buy one. I read that on the 2007, they "fixed" the door handle "problem". On the shifter, I have to chuckle.:D My 92 XLT has the manual transmission with the single cupholder (If you have a significant other, better get 2 straws) in the center. A shift to 4th gear will spill or crush anything in the cupholder!:eek:

Seriousl, after much research, I concluded that the only worthy successor to my 92 Ex would be a new Explorer.

Bob

OP-

I find your observations, while insightful, real issues, and your point is well taken, to be overwhelmingly **** and I cant shake the feeling that you're looking for reasons to "complain" (for lack of a better word).

There is no such thing as a perfect vehicle, and its fair to say that the '06+ Ex comes closer than most. Things like the reflecting on the hood and the cups spilling when you use the cupholder seem to be such complaints. I'm 6'4"ish and Ive never had any problems with reflections or spills (If you spill a drink, its your fault... come on). As to the distractions with the Passenger Airbag light.... why are you staring at the center console when you're supposed to be driving. My light has been one when its dark in the past and Ive never noticed it.

I really hope I dont come off as offending and I dont mean to be. I jsut hate to see such pathetic complaints that seem to be pulled out of nowhere. Especially about such a fantastic piece of engineering.

Tenacious mentioned the "airbag light" complaint. To me, thats one of the cool things about this car. That light comes on when it detects something too light to take a shot from an airbag if it were a person. That means, if your 8-year-old is sitting there, there is no chance of it going off in his/her face. Now, if you wanted car with no features, you could have gotten one for half the cost.

Does anyone test drive at night? YES

Airbag light solution? electrical tape... *(I used that when moving from Seattle to Phoenix when I had my cooler on the front seat)*

Sorry you don't like it, the hood seems like a strange thing, the others, honestly more than one test drive maybe would have been a good idea.

those and the 3500lbs towing capacity is why i just got a pathfinder to replace my 98 explorer . a sad day for me

those and the 3500lbs towing capacity is why i just got a pathfinder to replace my 98 explorer . a sad day for me

I usually park next to one of those at work. Sad indeed.

Nissan had to give it more pulling power, it's the only engine of choice in the US/Canada.

I

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its a sad day for anyone when their domestic contender is outhauled by... of all things.... a Nissan....

Hang on a sec... the Pathfinder has something like a 6000 tow while the Ex has 7300.

Nevermind I jsut checked and Im guessing you were referring to the V6... Damn.

Back