• Register Today It's free!

Should I buy this 2006 XLT V6?

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 limited, 2006 XLT
My daughter has fallen in love with a 2006 XLT V6 - 84,000 miles. $11k
I have a 2004 Limited V*, and she loved driving it - so she wants one .
Creampuff of a truck. But I have read all the ugly stories of the transmission, radiator and chain. There is another 2006 V6 with 127K miles for $8k.
I am wondering if the higher mileage vehicle has been thru all theuglies and possibly will provide good use. Or should I just walk by the 2006's? I've heard of people who love their V6 2006. Was it just sporadic problems? Thanks - RD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Honestly, I knew nothing about timing chain issues for this generation explorer until someone mentioned it the other day in a thread. You have to remember how these forums work... You don't come here to praise how reliable a vehicle is you come here to get the fix for a problem.
I honestly feel that the early 3v V8 engines and six speed transmissions had more critical issues than the V6 setup and both models had radiator problems so it was not limited to just the V6.
To answer your question, if the lower mileage vehicle was well maintained and has records to prove it then the vehicle should be very reliable as long as proper maintenance is continued.

I have an 06 xlt v6 no problems but that price seems a bit high I bought mine from a ford dealership 2-3 years ago with 52,000 miles for 12-13k just letting your know! Might wanna try to take the price Down even more

Thank you both for your input. I agree with you both. RD

I've got an 06 XLT V6, and to be honest I like everything about the vehicle except the tranny. I know now that I'll never own another 6-speed auto. I live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains with lots of long, rolling hills and the truck never stops shifting when going uphill. It can't find the right gear apparently. Up down up down up down up down.

I've taken to turning off the overdrive if I'm not on an open highway. It feels like it has to hit overdrive before up-shifting to every gear when leaving a full stop when its on, more like a 12-speed.

Oh, and forget trying to pass on a two-lane with the AC on. If I had to do it over, I'd get the V8.

IMO, go V8. same or better MPG, WAY more power, better trans.

i only paid $18,500 for my 08 XLT with a good amount of options and with V8 and had only 42,000 miles. so looking for one with closer to 100K should be pretty cheap now.

I'm not as knowledgeable as most on these boards, but if you go V8 from 2006, check the spark plug issues. Might not be a dealbreaker, but if you're going to do it yourself, that Lisle tool is wonderful (and cheap on Amazon)

Bobmbx, but you do not have 6 speed tranny......

Oh, and forget trying to pass on a two-lane with the AC on. If I had to do it over, I'd get the V8.

I have the v6... mine has zero problems passing on a 2 lane... for the size of the vehicle she accelerates damn nice... Ive passed a car back when I first get my truck 45mph zone, damn thing hit almost 80 by the time I was around it... not that I typically go that fast, you definitely don't even need full throttle to pass lol

My daughter and I ended up buying a 2006 v-6 with 127,000 miles on it. It was an affordable $7,994. BUT the truck is absolutely spotless clean, you can see it was well maintained, clean interior like only one person rode in it the past 7 years. I just hope it serves us like my 2004 Explorer has served. Thank you all for your input. RD

Congratulations

Bobmbx, but you do not have 6 speed tranny......

Ha! You're right! That means there is something wrong with it then. I count 5 distinct shifts before it hits OD. (Same with OD off).

I guess its time to look into the drivetrain for "issues".

Got any pictures!?! You should put a lift in it for her :) I did very affordable and easy to install

I will take pics this weekend. TXS - RD

Congrats! Enjoy the new ride.

Back