• Register Today It's free!

Problem with liftgate glass.

HUA99XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Monroeville, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4x4
Hey everyone, I'm having a pretty annoying problem with the glass on my liftgate. The liftgate itself will lock but the glass section will not lock. Doesn't matter if I try it with the electronic lock or manually with my key. :( So, in other words, all anyone would have to do to get into my Explorer is hit the button for the glass and they have easy access. Considering the fact that there have been a lot of vehicle break-ins at some of the other buildings in my apartment complex, I would like to get this problem fixed ASAP.

Any input is appreciated. I haven't actually taken the liftgate apart yet so I have no clue what the problem is. Also, I apologize if this situation has already been discussed. I tried doing a search of the site and didn't find anything. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I got my Sport, the liftgate was smashed up :(... took the plastic cover off the inside, fiddled till I was able to lock it and then I bought an already black liftgate from a guy in Columbia, SC for $100!!

When you take off the cover you'll be able to see (relatively) what is going on in there.

I would guess the linkage is broken. My best advice would be to open it up and see if you can see what is broken.

I would guess the linkage is broken. My best advice would be to open it up and see if you can see what is broken.

x2 or it just fell off

Yeah, I kinda assumed it would be one of those two things. I mainly posted this thread to see if this was a common problem that others have had and if there was an easy solution. I'll have to take the time to take it apart sometime soon.

Suppose I should also investigate my rear window wiper while I'm in there, because that's not working either. I love my Ex, even though it makes me mad at times. :mad:

yeah i remember my liftgate broke and it was a pain in the butt it made a lot of scratches and took some of my paint with it around the liftgate area.

I might have to get some touch up gold paint to paint over the scratches and where the paint came off.

Well today I finally took the panel off of the liftgate to try to determine why the glass is not locking, and so far I still have no clue. I had a flashlight pointed inside and locked and unlocked it multiple times, but I can't see what should be working that is currently not. Please if anyone has any other ideas chime in. I got a late start on it today and I'll look at it again tomorrow but I dunno ...

Also, if anyone has any diagrams or anything of what that whole setup should look like that would probably help me out.

Thanks again.

if you can, post some pictures of the inside, and maybe some of us might be able to spot the problem......maybe

Okay, I finally went out this morning and took some pictures of the inside of my liftgate. Just signed up for the Elite membership so hopefully this works.

Attachments

• 100_1371.jpg
    100_1371.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 701
  • 100_1373.jpg
    100_1373.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 621
  • 100_1374.jpg
    100_1374.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 619
  • 100_1375.jpg
    100_1375.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 718

Anyone notice anything out of the ordinary with any of these pics? I'm at a loss.

When you manually push up on the thing, does everything below move?

I'm not sure that I know exactly what you mean haha. When I push on the device in the second 2 pictures everything seems to move normally. Also, when I lock the doors I can't move that device manually, but I can still open the glass by pushing the button on the outside.

in your second picture is your linkage for your window lock. with the glass up, try locking the glass with your key, and your door button to see how far it will travel. then, move it by hand (the linkage that is) and see if it will lock that way. if if will lock it by hand, you can adjust that by opening the clip that is on the threaded part of the linkage. try that and let us know what happens.

the glass will close though, but it will not lock, right?

in your second picture is your linkage for your window lock. with the glass up, try locking the glass with your key, and your door button to see how far it will travel. then, move it by hand (the linkage that is) and see if it will lock that way. if if will lock it by hand, you can adjust that by opening the clip that is on the threaded part of the linkage. try that and let us know what happens.

the glass will close though, but it will not lock, right?

Yes, the glass will latch but it will not lock. Although sometimes I have to jiggle it a little to get it to latch.

I'll try doing what you said and see what happens.

I haven't worked on the lift gate specifically, but those clips with the threaded rods through them are for adjustment. Take a small piece of bailing wire, make a tight loop, pull the tab. The clip will release, you can adjust the rod, then snap it back. Only adjust a little at a time. The wire will save from sore fingers, I know. I had to adjust the exterior door handle on my Mountaineer that way.

Josh,

Have you figured out the fix ?

I just bought a 98 and have the exact same problem, heres a bump for ya ^

Regards,
Joe

Joes 98, no I still haven't figured it out. This is starting to pi$$ me off! :mad: Does anyone happen to have a diagram of how the entire locking mechanism is supposed to look? Although I can't see anything out of place, I keep thinking that something is not attached that should be.

I'm beginning to think that the black device is this picture is malfunctioning. This is the back part of the button you push in on to open the liftgate glass. When I look at while I lock all the doors it seems to function properly so I'm thinking there might be something messed up internally. I don't know.

Attachments

• 100_1373.jpg
    100_1373.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 574

now this is starting to drive me nuts! when my button (lock) stopped working, the little c clip at the end fell off, but that is not your problem. the rod that you have a picture above, dose it have a lot of play in it, or dose it move freely with everything else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In that last picture, you should try and adjust it accordingly. After so much use, they'll either come out more, or get pushed in more.

It should come apart and you can put the rod back in at whatever length you want, try playing around with that and find out if that's the problem. It happens a lot with the other doors also.. Mainly the driver's door.

Back