• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate lock problems

sunchaser

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 xlt
The liftgate lock on my '99 explorer XLT has stopped working, leaving it unlocked. The other power locks work on all the other doors and I can hear the solenoid engage when I lock and unlock via the keyless entry or a door button but the liftgate doesn't lock. I suspect it is a broken linkage of some kind. Has anyone else had this problem? I would like to get the part before I tear the panel off the liftgate. Thanks for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had that issue when I used the factory aux door opener and the aftermarket alarm aux door opener - the door wouldn't lock after I used the factory opener, don't know why. Don't know if you have both, but once I stopped using the factory door opener, no more issues. Confusing, sorry.

same thing happened to mine

are you able to insert the key and lock it manualy? if you can your solenoid is probally shot, i had to replace mine and it was fixed

I have a similar problem where I can unlock all of the doors, except the hatch, which remains locked. I can open the hatch with the key, however.

The hatch can be locked with a fob, but not unlock with it.

Maybe the solenoid is shot. Can you replace it without removing the trim?

Thanks for the input guys. The lock has now advanced to where it sounds like it is giving me a raspberry every time the lock is open or closed with the fob. I suspect it is the solenoid. Just haven't had the time to get in there. I also suspect it will be a pain to do.

Nah! took me like 30 min

I went to an alarm shop asked for an actuator, paid 8 bucks they gave me something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-...189735850QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200189735850
it was just a matter of switching the oem one for this, had to drill 1 hole tho, between dissasembly, taking the old actuator off, drilling the new hole (got a piece of paper, placed it over the holes in the actuator and punched a hole with my pen and used the paper as a template to drill new hole) and putting the new one in 30 min I did this 2 or 3 years ago when my rear hatch was blowing raspberries and staying in the locked possition and it has never failed again, try it just check it before u put everything back together as if you plug the wires backwards it will open on lock and close on unlock

Sounds great - thanks for the info. I will definitely try it.

My liftgate opener seems to be broken on my 1999 Ford Explorer Sport- How do I get the liftgate to open so I can get to the door opener to see what is wrong.

i have a 2000 Mountaineer where the lift-gate actuator is weak. i lubed it and that helped to the point where maybe 19 times out of 20 it locks. it always unlocks. i have a replacement actuator, which i was going to install, but i ran out of time, as it appears everything related to the latch mechanism must be removed (or at least taken loose) in order to unhook the tip of the rod. thanks for making it simple Ford... the raspberry sound your hearing sounds like the gears have stripped. the actuator is not just a simple solenoid, but more of a transmission.

Back