rear differential code

dorin18

Reaction score
City, State
Stratford, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 4x4 '04 XLS AWD
Hi guys,
I just bought a 2004 Ex awd and on the way back home from the seller I noticed “the whine” in the back.
I changed the differential oil with Lucas 80w175 but the noise is still there, so now I am getting ready to order the repair kit for the differential. But there is a problem… I cannot tell what kind of differential is.
On the driver’s side I have only one label that specifies the tire pressure. There is no code that would suggest if it is a conventional or a limited slip.
There is a code on the differential, but I couldn’t find this code explained anywhere: VR-5L2W-4025-AA and under is 14.
So, if anyone can give me some info about this differential I would greatly appreciate it. Also, is there any other place I can look for that manufacturer’s label? (since I do not have it in the usual place)
Many thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can turn the radio on to a normal level and it drowns out the whine, let it go. They whine, it's what they do.

i would try a ford dealership. call them up and give them your vin #. they should be able to look up what you have.

I know when i was asking for parts they asked for it.

as far as the rear end, i had mine done earlier this year and all is good. (under exteneded warrenty.)

good luck.

It is true that the noise is not that loud, but I just cannot live with it.
Sooner or later I have to fix it. But the question is should I add the friction modifier to the differential or not??
If it is a conventional diff, will it hurt to have the aditive in it?

should be on the drivers door. Code 45 or D3 or D4 or something.

Guys, I just cannot see it on the sticker.
Maybe somebody can decipher the code... Here is the sticker:
iw3x8x.jpg

This is the label you want:
WindowClipping16.jpg

And this is the axle code key:
WindowClipping17.jpg

Thank you for posting the picture.
Unfortunately I do not have that sticker on the door.
It seems that I have to go to the dealer...

How many tags are on the rear diff? There should be two and one of them (not the one you posted) will tell you the gear ratio.

The tags are metal and held on by the bolts that hold the rear cover on.

You will see;

3 73
3 L 73
3 55

There is usually a bigger space between the numbers. If I am not mistaken, it is the tag on the passenger side. Hope this helps

It is true that the noise is not that loud, but I just cannot live with it.
Sooner or later I have to fix it. But the question is should I add the friction modifier to the differential or not??
If it is a conventional diff, will it hurt to have the aditive in it?

No, it won't hurt a non-LS rear. For fluid, I would recommend a high quality synthetic. Mobil 1 makes one. 75W140 is what ford now recommends for all the rears, regardless of LS or not. The Mobil 1 gear oil also states that no additional LS additive is needed with that fluid (only the 75w140LS synthetic though)

As for indentifying the rear gear/LS: Has everyone forgot the old fashioned method? Get on the ground, crawl under your truck amd look for the tag on the diff cover. You '04 ought to still have that on. Or, get ready, I know this one is just waaayy to much work for some people:rolleyes: : Jack up the rear (both wheels of the ground) Turn one wheel by hand. If the opposite wheel turns in the same direction as the one your moving by hand, it's a LS (Posi). If it turns the opposite direction, it's an open rear. Step 2: Put a mark on one tire, and a mark on the driveshaft. Turn the wheel one complete revolution, while counting the number of turns of the driveshaft. Simple dvision will give you the rear gear ratio.

Ya know, this is the 4th or 5th thread in a week asking about finding rear end ratios. SEARCH people, SEARCH.........

No, it won't hurt a non-LS rear. For fluid, I would recommend a high quality synthetic. Mobil 1 makes one. 75W140 is what ford now recommends for all the rears, regardless of LS or not. The Mobil 1 gear oil also states that no additional LS additive is needed with that fluid (only the 75w140LS synthetic though)

As for indentifying the rear gear/LS: Has everyone forgot the old fashioned method? Get on the ground, crawl under your truck amd look for the tag on the diff cover. You '04 ought to still have that on. Or, get ready, I know this one is just waaayy to much work for some people:rolleyes: : Jack up the rear (both wheels of the ground) Turn one wheel by hand. If the opposite wheel turns in the same direction as the one your moving by hand, it's a LS (Posi). If it turns the opposite direction, it's an open rear. Step 2: Put a mark on one tire, and a mark on the driveshaft. Turn the wheel one complete revolution, while counting the number of turns of the driveshaft. Simple dvision will give you the rear gear ratio.

Ya know, this is the 4th or 5th thread in a week asking about finding rear end ratios. SEARCH people, SEARCH.........

Why would he want to go to that much trouble since there is suppose to be a door label on there telling what axle he has? Since his door label is missing and he already looked for a tag on the axle itself, I think his post was entirely appropriate. I wonder where the label he posted is located. Possibly over the Ford door label? I wonder if his Ex has beeen modified from it's original state.

Thank you all for your input.
I wanted to know more about the differential only for two reasons:
- I didn't want to create more damage if it needs the friction modifier (since I didn't add any), and
- I want to order the bearings for it (some guy here on this forum could swear that bearings are the cause for the whining noise).
My wife (who drives the car) wants the noise gone...Other than that I don't care about the gear ratio or if it is a LS or open.
After some reading I believe the dif. is open, since the car is an XLS model with a class II hitch.
I will drive the car over the pit and look again at the differential, maybe I find more codes. If not, I will try the old fashioned way of jacking up both rear wheel.
I will let you know.
Thanks again

I stopped at the dealer today and the guy at the parts department was very nice.
He gave me the printout with all the options the car has (based on the VIN).
So, the differential is open with a gear ratio of 3.55
There is another code for the rear axle: V651H
The only thing that I couldn't find is the diameter of the ring gear. I have to find out if this diameter is important when ordering bearings.

8.8"

Posted via Mobile Device

Back