• Register Today It's free!

Anyone Running Dual-Alternators?

Equnoxe

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Exploder EB Edition
just wondering if anyone got this? i need to find out were to find a bracket/belt.

_Andy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why do you want dual alternators? You could either install a high amp alternator or a dual battery system with an isolator? Do you have two batteries, and want to charge them separately? I once saw an alternator online with dual outputs.

i already have 3 batteries 2 caps and the 130 AMP alternator with "BIG3" done, still drains the batts to quickly :(

what the heck are you all running??

wow, never mind I read it lol

i already have 3 batteries 2 caps and the 130 AMP alternator with "BIG3" done, still drains the batts to quickly :(

Forgive my ignorance, but would a better single alternator help you out? Check out my own quest for a HO alt here.

I don't have a hardcore system like yours though.

Could one be mounted where the ac goes if you don't have ac? It looks like one could bolt right up

i think you can remove your AC compressor and put an alt there. but then you have no AC. unless you use a swamp cooler in your car.

i think you can remove your AC compressor and put an alt there. but then you have no AC. unless you use a swamp cooler in your car.

I have no ac,has anyone tried to put one there

i need a high amp alt lol my lights and system draws alot also =[

A high output alternator would kick that 130amp alt's ass...

I know where you can get 200, 250, 300, AND 350 amp alts, custom built, with overdrive pulleys even if you wanted.

Problem solved with a 3 or 350.

i have been on the lookout for a dual alt kit for forever it seems. with no luck :( i was hoping to buy a truck that could hold 2 or 3 alts whenever i gotta give up my explorer, or even 4 if i'm lucky enough, the midsize trucks i've been looking at cant do em either :( one was a maybe. guess i'll have to have a massive battery bank to back up my power lol

A high output alternator would kick that 130amp alt's ass...

I know where you can get 200, 250, 300, AND 350 amp alts, custom built, with overdrive pulleys even if you wanted.

Problem solved with a 3 or 350.

yea 130 seems close to stock,i have a 210 and still have major problems and would love to put another 210 where my ac use to be.a 300+ alt would cost an arm and leg.ill have to take my old alt and see if it will bolt up to where the ac pump use to be,that would be great if it fit!!

sorry i haven't been around, ive been taking the motor out of my parts ex, and i took the ac compressor off, and im going to take the alt off and try to remound it were the ac goes. ac doesent seem to be as wide though, im going to try toi make another braket.

yea i have been looking at monster alts, but they cost a pretty penny, i think it would be alot cheaper, cool, and will give me room for my future mods ;)

if i can make it work i will be posting a guide

hey brooklynbay, in another thread you posted this link http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/ford1.html
and said they sold the bracket, do you know what one would fit the 4.0 SOHC??

would i need this kit?
200 Amp

95-98 Mustang
4.6L (281) w/SOHC

ah OK, i already emailed them, ill check those guys too ,thanks :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Quick question - does this happen when the engine isnt running? Cauz if so, I dont think adding another alternator or going with a larger alternator is really going to help much . I'd first try swapping out those batteries for deep cycles - that may be a better approach than swapping alternators.

Back