remote power mirrors won't adjust right/down | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

remote power mirrors won't adjust right/down

hbergh

Reaction score
City, State
bay area, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo LX
When I press the remote power mirror button on the driver side door, the mirrors won't adjust to the right or down, but they do adjust up or to the left. It happens to the mirrors on both sides, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the motors, unless both mirrors' motors went bad at the same time (not likely I think).

I took the switch apart and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary with it. No dirt, no burned contacts. I spread the grease on the printed circuit board inside the switch over the contacts again, in an attempt to fix a bad contact, but it didn't make any difference.

I suspect a loose wire somewhere between the switch and whatever drives the motors, but I don't have a wiring diagram for the power mirrors, and I don't know where to find the wiring for it. This is a weird switch, which probably works with a combination of contacts. I don't know which wires to check to see if the contacts are working the way they should.

I should mention that a mechanic (whose identity will remain hidden to protect the ignorant) had spent a couple of hours (!) trying to install a lock assembly on the passenger door, and I suspect that he may have messed up the wiring to the passenger side mirror. Does that affect the driver side mirror as well?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Herb.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first off id like to welcome you to the site, ever have have a question or anything 'bout your explorer you'll find the answer here.

about your mirrors, i have a similar problem also. you might want to take a continuity tester or multimeter and just see if everthing is gettin power it sounds like the switch might be bad thouhg cause you have the same problem on both sides, im not sure if you can repair a switch like that or not but on mine i just havent bothered with it because how often do you adjust your mirrors (unless you tow a trailer frequently) i just move mine by hand, im almost 99.9% sure its the switch on mine and sounds like it might be yours too. hope this helps

I had the same problem a couple of times in my 90 Lincoln and it was the switch each time. Couldnt see anything wrong, just didnt work.
Me, I'd bet on the switch.....

Power Mirror factory recall !

Ford tracked me down and sent me a recall on the power mirror switch and harness, two years ago. I took my '93 in and they took two hours so it must have been involved....
Don't know if your '91 was covered by recall, but I'd definately drive down to your friendly local FoMoCo dealer and ask if your "91 is covered by recall!

RDS

If anyone is able to fix this problem please post how My 91 Explorer is doing the same thing Thanks

Mine 91 is doing the same thing. I took the switch out, and actually plugged it in upside down. So theoretically, it *should* work to the left and up instead of the down and right. but, it didn't make a difference. So I strongly believe it is NOT the switch. Any ideas? Anyone else???

did anyone find a fix for this? cause my 91 does this and so does my mothers 92.. both mirrors only go up and to the left on both vehicles..

I guess this is a common problem with em, cause mine does the exact same thing. What I do is manually adjust the mirrors, and then dont touch the switch! Seriously tho, if anybody knows how to fix it, let us know!

I had the same problem on my '91 too. When I took apart the switch and looked at the circuit board thats inside one of the little triangle shaped pieces that fall out when you take apart the switch had managed to wear through one of the paths near one corner of the board (it mostly just looked like a scratch). I managed to drop some solder across the gap and its been all good ever since.

Hope this helps :)

I JUST FIXED MY MIRROR BY SOLDERING BROKEN TRACE.
I BELIEVE MOST OF YOU HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.JUST LOOK VERY CLOSELY AND IF NOT SURE USE A METER TO DO CONTINUITY.

ok.. Cool.. I will look at mine soon and let you know if this will fix it.. :)

MY 95 ECLIPSE DID THE SAME THING....UP AND RIGHT BUT NOT DOWN AND LEFT...I TOOK APART THE SWITCH NO BURNS...BUT I'LL LOOK MORE CAREFULLY AT THE CONTACTS...THANKS!!!

Back