• Register Today It's free!

Mirror adjuster issue..

jeff4912

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer 4WD
Both my side view mirrors are controlled by a electronic adjuster on the left door panel near the "A" pillar.

It is a knob type adjuster that you twist left to adjust the driver side and twist right for the passenger side.

It always works to adjust both mirrors up or down but only works sometimes for left or right adjustment, like a dirty contact point.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem. Could not find info on the web.

I am guessing possible dirty or worn contacts?

How does that switch come out of the door?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty sure you have to remove the door panel to get that switch out.

Chapster is correct. The door panel does have to be removed in order to take out the mirror adjustment switch.

My write up on doing the signal mirrors shows how to remove the door panel and the mirror switch: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293175

I can also send you the wiring diagrams if needed.

Hope this helps out!! :biggthump

my switch does the same as you described. Let me know if you fix it

Thanks Rondo, that was a hell of a write up!

After looking at the connector, I am guessing either a wire has chaffed through or a dirty contact in the switch.

Thanks Rondo, that was a hell of a write up!

After looking at the connector, I am guessing either a wire has chaffed through or a dirty contact in the switch.

You're welcome. Sorry about the delay. I somehow missed this thread. :dunno:

Did you get it sorted? Do you need anything else?

I'm having a similar problem. Neither of my mirrors will adjust, (dead) and just my driver door lock button will not work. 1997 Ford Explorer Sport (2 door). I thought I read on here a while ago that it could possibly be corrected by spraying some electrical spray on the contacts. Has anybody heard of this problem or know how to fix this issue? Much Thanks,

I replaced the adjuster switch. Bought it on ebay for $5.00
Fixed the problem.

Back