95 Aerostar to 92 Explorer shift lever & kickdown lever position (A4LD). | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95 Aerostar to 92 Explorer shift lever & kickdown lever position (A4LD).

tuckman

Reaction score
City, State
Elk Point, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer XLT
I am about to swap in the A4LD from my 95 Aerostar to my 92 Ex. I pulled the trans from the Ex and noticed that the shift levers are completely opposite eachother. In park the Aerostar is at 12 o'clock and the ex is at about 6 o'clock, from what I remember. I am thinking that I need to switch it to match the Ex's but just wanted to make sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to swap arms from the old trans to work properly. The one from the 95 aerostar when flipped rubbed against the trans pan.

the arm of the one from the aerostar is flat and the one from the 92 ex is offset to avoid the pan.
I would take pics but i already froze my butt off this morning -11C, taking pics of my wiring swap for an auto 1354 to manual 1354. It is up to -8C with the chill right now, so I will get pics in a couple days when it is above freezing.

I also ran into an issue pulling the arm out of the 92's trans. I broke the retaining pin off flush and had to drill it out...what a mess!!! I need to be more careful if I ever have to do that again.

Update
When doing this swap you need to take both the shift arm and the kickdown lever from the donor trans. The shaft sizes were slightly different and caused a fluid leak from the shift arm.

Back