95-01 explorer 351w swap parts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95-01 explorer 351w swap parts

my plans for swapping a stroked 351w into my mountaineer is finished. if you kept tabs on my build in the need for speed section, you know about this project and the level of effort that was required to get this far. i got to the point of running in a salvaged mounty and took it all out to install it into my truck, but the project got shelved. now, its over with. someone should pick up where i left off! here's what i've got:

custom 1.75 primary headers
custom cam sensor with steel gear for hyd roller cams
custom oil pan for 4x4 truck
custom dual 3" exhaust with cats and 70 series flowmasters-no tailpipes
manual shift 4406 transfer case with brackets, driveshaft and lever

please understand that i am not a pro fabricator and i cannot guarantee fitment or quality. take it for what its worth.

make me a reasonable offer. i want to see this stuff get used.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PM sent.

im interested in the headers if you can send me some pictures perseverance.soundz@gmail.com

im putting a 351 in my 01 ranger so if they can miss the control arms ill probably buy them.

i have accounts on ebay, rps, rf, etc. for reference.

headers $300

these headers are reconfigured chrome plated BBK 1.75 primary headers with a 3" collector and v-band clamp end. they were never refinished, so they look like patchwork...because they are. the headers seem to adequitely clear all suspension, brackets, steering shaft, etc. i didn't get very much road time to verify that under full throttle, the engine didn't torque and hit something. these were also designed to work with MY setup, not necessarily yours. my heads had a 1/8" raised exhaust port and i put 1/4" spacers between the block and engine mount brackets. i designed the layout, drawing from Bob Pasquale's (Torque Monster Headers) incredible wealth of knowledge of header design. As such, the primaries run into the collectors in order of firing on each bank to promote cylinder scavaging. my welding is NOT exceptional. i think i did well considering how much cutting and welding of the pre-bent tubes i had to do, but this is a PROTOTYPE. don't get your hopes up for a perfect fit and finish. i have $175 in the purchase of the used headers and about 60 hours to design and fab these. i think $300 is a bargain. expect custom Kooks headers to cost $1500 or more and you will have to get your vehicle to them and not see it for a month.

headers 1.jpg

headers 2.jpg

headers 3.jpg

headers 4.jpg

header pics-part 2

more pics...

Attachments

• headers 8.jpg
    headers 8.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 2,356
  • headers 7.jpg
    headers 7.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 2,124
  • headers 6.jpg
    headers 6.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 2,156
  • headers 5.jpg
    headers 5.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 4,108

cam sensor $150

alot of research went into this cam sensor. it is engineered to the letter of Ford law on tolerances and fitment. it should provide years of trouble free service for your 351w swap explorer. now, the flag on the top of the shaft is a half moon. i don't know when they switched, but there is a narrow flag version on the later explorers. check yours first.

Attachments

• cam sensor 14.jpg
    cam sensor 14.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 2,162
  • cam sensor 13.jpg
    cam sensor 13.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 2,233
  • cam sensor 11.jpg
    cam sensor 11.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 2,295
  • cam sensor 8.jpg
    cam sensor 8.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,198

oil pan and pickup $150

this poil pan is a frankenstein of a 351w flange with an explorer pan. the welding was done with a TIG and in small patches spaced out to minimize warping. when the pan sits on the ground, there is a small amount of warp (.040" or so), but it draws down to the gasket just fine. i did have a problem with the mount hole closest to the rear main bearing cap. i had to elongate it and as a result, if you don't use a dab of silicon under a washer before putting the bolt in, it will leak a couple of drops. once i figured this issue out, it didn't leak again. the pan was set up to tuck up to the bottom of a standard oil pump (HIGH VOL/PRESS WILL NOT WORK!). the pickup is a stock explorer 5.0 version modified for the different 351w oil pump and lower sump. it was properly designed to give between 3/8" and 1/2" clearance between the pickup and the bottom of the pan. with a 1/4" engine raise, the pan shape clears the steering rack, 4x4 and still has adequite clearance for a 3" pipe from the DS header. the fit is tighter than stock, however, so angling the engine in with this pan on, will result in wedging the pan against the front diff. my solution was to drop the diff down until the engine and trans were in their final resting place, then putting the diff back where it belongs. the pan has the low oil sensor in it (not that i used it on mine though). it also includes the pan rail stiffeners. they are 302 modified to work with the 351w, so the 4 bolts around the caps are slots.

Attachments

• oil pan 6.jpg
    oil pan 6.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 2,378
  • oil pan 9.jpg
    oil pan 9.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 2,114
  • oil pan 10.jpg
    oil pan 10.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 2,114
  • oil pan 11.jpg
    oil pan 11.jpg