• Register Today It's free!

351w explorer

93doraexplora

Reaction score
City, State
North carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
Fist and foremost this will not be an instant build. This may take years.
I am interested in a 351w explorer. Heres what I want. No 302s or 331s or 347s. Specifically 351 based.
As close to 351 as possible, (no strokers) with a bit of wet nitrous, carbureted. I plan on full forged internals, a good set of heads, custom headers and exhaust, and a custom oil pan if needed. I understand there will be issues with the fitment. (steering, headers, oilpan, cooling? anything im forgetting?)
Also there will be a fuel cell with 110 octane dedicated for nitrous, with its own fuel pump. Regarding the fuel cell system, what size fuel lines do i need? I have NO clue what this -4an and -6an etc is?
The members that have done this are 4x4 and they body lift to compensate for the extra size of the engine, would simply modifying the stock hood or getting a 9" cowl hood from up22.com work?
Would the stock 8.8 hold up to the 351s power? Will a t5 hold up to the 351s power? Maybe a m5r2? Suggestions PLEASE?
I understand I will have to retard the engine for nitrous. Is there a product lets say from msd that will automatically retard the timing for when the system is armed? I have been doing my research and very little has turned up.
Thank you for your time in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would talk to a member by the handle of "Turdle". He has most likely one of the best built ALL motor explorers on here. I do recall it was lowered (he joined the dark side and lifted it) with a 351 and 4wd should not have a problem with fitment he also has the stock 302 trans in it.

I would talk to a member by the handle of "Turdle". He has most likely one of the best built ALL motor explorers on here. I do recall it was lowered (he joined the dark side and lifted it) with a 351 and 4wd should not have a problem with fitment he also has the stock 302 trans in it.

He has a 347 not a 351. There are a couple of threads with 351's in first gens. Can I ask why your so against the 302? A 347 would make just as much power as a 351, and probably cost about the same parts wise. A stock T5 is going to be to weak to handle a high horsepower 351, 347, etc. But with some work it could take the abuse. IF it will fit. An older ZF is another option, it's big, heavy, and is better geared to off roading than racing though. A member swaped an M5R2 into his v8 2nd gen, reading his thread should give you some useful info.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248285&highlight=v8+manual

the 351 is a TIGHT fit but it can be done, steering and frame mods needed at the minimum

You going to run a body lift? Sounds like you are building a street truck, without a body lift clearing the 351 will be INTERESTING....but hey it has been done and can be done again!!

jonlax thank you.
techieman thank you as well. Im not really against a 302 based engine, BUT every one and there brother has one. LOL. Main reason is I would like to be different, to my knowlege there isnt anyone one here with a lowered 351 explorer (im sure there is someone) running nitrous. I know the 347 will make as much if not more HP than the 351 but at the same time simply I want to be different. techieman thank you for that link I will have to study his posts very carefully.
410 let me throw this at you and PLEASE help with my thinking. Alright what I understand is, the 351 is taller and a bit wider than the 302 making it NOT fit under the stock hood (or between the frame rails?) Heres my thinking 9" cowl hood from up22.com giving me 8" of play (leway of an inch for mishaps) raise the engine up a bit for oilpan and header clearance. Thus making the install a bit easier as well as MAYBE get it high enough to not have to make frame changes. (steering changes are fine) reinforce the motor mounts possible crossbracing the frame and a BFH to take care of the firewall/tranny tunnel clearance problems. Quick question how long do you think a full forged 306 (leaving as much webbing for block structure) with say a 200 wet shot of nitrous will last? I can get a mexican 302 for $400 with mains. Good deal?
See 410 you yourself said it, it will be INTERESTING. Thats exactly what I want.

Since you've got time (you mentioned years), why not do it cleanly - cut the old mounts off and fabricate new ones. I dont think BFH will be enough if you're going to raise the engine up - stock configuration is tight enough as it is. So maybe cut out at least the front part of the tunnel and make a new one. Maybe even move the engine back a few inches so its easier to work on the engine accessories (and a bit better weight distribution).

how about a whole new engine cradle? its just a crossmember :)

Have you read any 351 conversion threads? there are beamed rangers and explorers running around with the 351 in them, heck even the 4.6 has been done
I know I have seen more then 1 351 done over the years on the intrawebz

You going to keep your beam front suspension i presume?

IZwack thats what I was thinking (the BFH not working) I like where your going with the weight thing. Maybe cut a portion of the firewall out and move the engine back, custom built sheet metal dash, full roll cage for added strenght(SP?)maybe a narrowed 9" with tubbed fenders. (full on drag explorer anyone?) Keep them coming I like crazy ideas. Thank you.
410 I cant find any on here ive used the search bar ive Googled, so far nothing except lifted explorers. Am I right in thinking the older rangers are like 1st gens up front? They look about the same.....And this mysterious engine cradle I LIKE! Havent thought of that.
Im slowly gathering parts and pieces. Honestly havent gotten the explorer yet! HAHA My 93 is to pretty. Thank you as well 410 btw nice b2 we dont have many around here.

jonlax thank you.
techieman thank you as well. Im not really against a 302 based engine, BUT every one and there brother has one. LOL. Main reason is I would like to be different, to my knowlege there isnt anyone one here with a lowered 351 explorer (im sure there is someone) running nitrous. I know the 347 will make as much if not more HP than the 351 but at the same time simply I want to be different. techieman thank you for that link I will have to study his posts very carefully.
410 let me throw this at you and PLEASE help with my thinking. Alright what I understand is, the 351 is taller and a bit wider than the 302 making it NOT fit under the stock hood (or between the frame rails?) Heres my thinking 9" cowl hood from up22.com giving me 8" of play (leway of an inch for mishaps) raise the engine up a bit for oilpan and header clearance. Thus making the install a bit easier as well as MAYBE get it high enough to not have to make frame changes. (steering changes are fine) reinforce the motor mounts possible crossbracing the frame and a BFH to take care of the firewall/tranny tunnel clearance problems. Quick question how long do you think a full forged 306 (leaving as much webbing for block structure) with say a 200 wet shot of nitrous will last? I can get a mexican 302 for $400 with mains. Good deal?
See 410 you yourself said it, it will be INTERESTING. Thats exactly what I want.

You want to be different?? Go with a built 2.3 Turbo. Make it 2WD and call it a day.

LOL spartan that would be different huh? I wouldnt have any fitment issues thats for sure. Just not what im looking for. Maybe later on down the road. Good idea though, I will keep that in mind.
What do you guys think about a mustang K member. Maybe cut some of the front frame off, bolt/weld on the K member? Do you think it will throw off the alignment? Or cut the frame up front and weld it back on a little wider? With major amounts of bracing of course. It would make the front stance a little wider but would leave the geometry of the front suspension the same (maybe). I have tons of thoughts running through my head just dont know if they will work the way I think they will. I know with time and money ANYTHING is possible. Just NOT enough of either.
Brandon

Briwayjones already started looking for the t56 around here no luck yet. Ill continue to look for sure.
Thank you froader. BTW did you ever shoot those punk kids who kept messing with your tires? haha

Back