Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaning 03 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mass Air Flow Sensor cleaning 03 Sport Trac

Markaprice73

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac XLT (RWD)
Hello all, Just cleaned the MAF sensor for preventitive maintainace. I Thought I would post a few pics for ya'll.
MAFS
You will need a torx T-20 SECURITY bit
Diconnect battery!
Remove the electrical connector and spray with ELECTRICAL CLEANER(both sockets) I sprayed (E.C.) the entire MAF sensor area before I started to remove any dirt in the area.
Gently pull it out of the housing
Spray all over with MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR CLEANER 4-5 squirts Do not touch anywhere on the sensors
Go do something your wife asked you to do while it COMPLETELY dries. 30min or so
I also replaced all of the old tape that was dried out on the elec connector wire holders.
Tip: Wear your safety glass when spraying the elec connectors. The spray is pretty powerful and came back into my face.
I have never cleaned this on this vehicle 132,000mi but after cleaning the throttle body...WOW what a difference! I figured MAF sensor too. Next IAC
I may be forgeting a few other little details.(long day) but that should be it.
Let me know if I forgot to mention anything or if you have any quesions. Thanks for checking this out.
-Mark (I hope the pics worked. This is my first time trying to post some info)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pics didnt work for me... upload them to photobucket, then click on the pic and copy the IMG Code and paste that directly into the reply box. Nice write up tho, you should make a big thread of just simple maintenance how-to's

(dead links)

Whew!...I did it!! think i got them all. a little otta order. took forever! my comp is sloooow and fulla bugs. Sorry
Anyway..Hope this helps someone
Thanks interscope8! I used tinypic.com but i used the wrong url....still learning

Oh, btw..you can also dissconnect the air box hose and hose clamps and just spray MAFS cleaner on the sensor if you dont have the security torx bit. Just be sure to let it dry before reassembly and disconnect your battery first. -Mark

Oh, btw..you can also dissconnect the air box hose and hose clamps and just spray MAFS cleaner on the sensor if you dont have the security torx bit. Just be sure to let it dry before reassembly and disconnect your battery first. -Mark

I prefer this method as it is easy to damage the sensor when removing and replacing it. It might require a little more time to allow it to dry, but I would sure hate to damage it. That's an expensive fix.

Good write up.:thumbsup:

I prefer this method as it is easy to damage the sensor when removing and replacing it. It might require a little more time to allow it to dry, but I would sure hate to damage it. That's an expensive fix.

Good write up.:thumbsup:

To the tune (gouge) of around $200. Best to use OEM sensors. (Motorcraft AFLS154)

The Ebay price variance is huge compared to others. Dunno.:eek:
(dead link)

Back