• Register Today It's free!

Speakers not working

Trapper14

Reaction score
City, State
Horseheads, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xl 2dr
for some reason all my speakers arne't working tweeters, 2 pairs of pioneers....

when I turn on radio or cd player all I get it a quick sound out of the speakers that sounds like power going to them, but no music coming out. I am hoping my bottle jack didn't hit my factory ampfilfier, but it seems to still be receiving power, any ideas? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you have a short in one of your speaker wires. The + and - on any speaker could be touching or one of them is grounded to the chasis. I would disconnect the speakers one by one from the amp and see if your sound returns. Don't get me wrong, it could be something else, but that's my idea.

Good luck,
Mike

at least its a start! well I was wondering I have a 50x4 watt deck could this power my speakers, and would or could I bybass my amplifier|?

Factory Amp

I don't know what sound system came with your X but I have a 92' XL and my did not come with a factory Amp. Your jack is on the drivers’ side and if you have a factory Amp it will be on the passengers side but I don't think you have 1. I could be wrong. Your speaker problem sounds to like a bad ground. I took the factory system out last weekend. I hope this helps.
:smoke: :mattmoon: :chug: :usa:

Originally posted by Trapper14
at least its a start! well I was wondering I have a 50x4 watt deck could this power my speakers, and would or could I bybass my amplifier|?

If you have a stock amp, definately bypass it. Even though your deck only puts out about 13watts x 4 RMS, your sound singal will be cleaner.

Originally posted by Kontrol-Trak

If you have a stock amp, definately bypass it. Even though your deck only puts out about 13watts x 4 RMS, your sound singal will be cleaner.

Yeah, I'd definitely bypass it, you could actually be overdriving the amp and causing it to shut down (don't know if the factory amp does, most aftermarketers do)... With the factory amp hooked up, you're just going to start amplifying the noise from the head units amp, and it is gonna sound dirty.

|I fixed problem! one wire got insulationg stippred off and was grounded to chassis! problem fixed, but how do I go about bypassing the amp, I believe it is the thing on drivers side by the jack compartment, its looks like a small amplifier....

i had the same problem with my right side speakers.... they were old and the connectors managed to loosen themselves and only come on at startup or potholes/speedbumps....new speakers and no more connectors solved the problem.... the connectors were the problem not the factory speakers but i decided since the door panels were off why not replace the speakers

That's what I figured. Sounds good that you fixed it ;)

Back