• Register Today It's free!

Vent hose routing?

MtrJunkie

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT 4x4 4.0L SOHC
So, I just finished re-gearing my 98 xlt 4x4 from 3.55 to 4.88 front and back. Added a lock-right to the front, and got her all buttoned back up. We do some trail riding through woods and creeks of various water depths depending on the recent rainfall. 2.5 to 3' has been the max water we've gone through.

My vent hoses are pretty much rotted after 200k miles. The rear didnt have one at all. So I want to replace them and route them to a good place.

Where is a good place to route the front and rear to? Im assuming the transfer case has a vent tube as well? Does the tranny also?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I didnt get any suggestions, so I'll leave what I did on here in case anyone wants to know down the road.

I used 16 feet (total) of 5/16 fuel hose (not necessary, but available) and ran from the back differential, down the driver's side frame rail, to the front diff. Using a 5/16 vacuum "T" I connected the rear diff hose, a 5" section going to the front diff, and a about a 2 foot section going straight up the firewall and next to the wiper motor.

The t-case vent line looked to be solidly in place, so I left it alone.

I ordered a 5/16 breather filter from amazon and will install it when it arrives. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OO4PS0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3TGC5XRRCX4P2)

yeah mate, did mine too.... I had it all separate and the breather was just under my bonnet LHF....

20141016_185125_zpssutrsouf.jpg

1) rear diff..
2) front diff...
3) transmission...
4) ???? (does the transfer case have breather tip too?)

I have bought this kit from online, that includes all the fittings and hoses (silicone hoses/HD plastic hose)...

made the (black bracket) myself... ;)

That looks great! Pro job right there.

oh sorry. I do believe it does. There was a hose coming out of the top of mine, going up behind the engine at the firewall. Didn't look any closer than that.

The t-case breather ties into the tranny breather tube, which vents under the truck. Its that metal tube sticking straight down next to the tranny. If you're going to be going through water on more than an occasional basis I would definitely by-pass the stock vents and run new ones up under the hood. Nice job glenn_a. I ran all mine up like yours except on the opposite side(drivers side here in the states). I just went to the jy and grabbed a few of the stock breather caps that are on the diff vents, however I really like yours a lot. Can you post the info on where you got them? Also, I ran separate vents for the tranny and t-case. I also didn't run the rear diff up to the front, I ran it up into the body behind the left rear tail light. It's roughly the same height as the front vents, if not a tad bit higher.

EDIT:I just re-read your post glenn and I realized mine is in the same spot basically as yours, left hand side. :)

Back