Colorado Colors Run 2002

Scott B.

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT
Well, its July and I have to ask - is the tradition going to continue this year? :confused:

Unfortunately, I had to miss last year's run, but the 2000 run was great! :bounce:

It's 2 months until Labor Day -

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd love to do a colors run, but isn't Labor day a little early for catching the fall colors (thats assuming there is still a forest after this summer :D ). I also couldn't make it that weekend (have to be at a weading in Oklahoma).

Colorado has had fall colors already just a bit differently: Reds, Oranges, Golds. They are just a whole lot warmer than the usual ones! :fire: :fire: :fire:

I would like to go too. Just tell us the details.:D

Hopefully I'll be able to make this one...I will have moved back to Texas by then, so it'll be a little farther of a trip :D

Can I put my vote in for somewhere in Southern Colorado now? :D

I won't have my Explorer after a few weeks so it won't be making this run, but I may (if I'm welcome to) go and ride along as passenger with folks again. There are many great areas to explore in Colorado, we've had many successful Colorado Colors Run adn they are always fun. We have never timed this well enough to see the colors, but we still call it that :). Labor Day is good for some people because they can travel the distance, as well as there isn't as much travel on the four-wheeling trails as other weekends.

I would vote for the Marble/Tincup area. If the aspens are turning, it would be a great area to be.

Well, I really don't care where it is held because I will be there. Count Climbnkd and Climbnkd2 in. Just tell us where and when. I think that the Labor day time frame would be best for us. Where are all of the CO people? Let's start planning!

Does anyone want to volunteer to setup this run? Logistics, trails, lodging, dining etc...

Labor Day sounds good for me.

yep wherever whenever, I could try to help coordinate never done it before but cant be too hard, however I do not know of the really good trails in northern or southern, CO. But I would be glad to try and help anyway I can!

Last I had heard it was voted that the "Colorado Colors Run" (or more accurately the Big Autumn Explorer Run) would move to Idaho and be hosted by studdedx. The thread is here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=43758

If that's no longer happening, or people would rather have the run in Colorado, I'm up for helping to organize it this year. I'd offer to organize the whole thing again like last year (with help from Heath and some other members), but I don't want the other Colorado folks to feel deprived... ;)

Anyway, once it's been finally decided where the group wants to go, I agree it's time to start organizing before it's too late! :eek:

I guess there needs to be a vote. That other thread hasn't been posted to since March and there wasn't a lot of interest in the time the thread was active.

I'll start a new poll.

bump

I need to spend some vacation time doing something..

The Colorado vs Idaho poll is heavily in favor of Colorado so lets get the ball rolling on where to go, etc. I looked at my book last night and there are a few areas that I think would work:

Buena Vista / Monarch
I have heard talk of some big dawgs wanting to do Iron Chest. Old Tin Ccup Pass would also be suitable for the big dawgs. Other than that there is not much challenge except for high narrow shelf roads. For the stockers there are tons of easy to difficult trail choices. I believe this was the location for CCR99.

Pikes Peak Region
This area looks cool but there are only 7 trails in the area. Longwater Gulch and Hackett Gulch are the only big dawg trails there although a group trip up Mt Baldy would be good as well. The rest of the trails are rated easy.

Ouray
Tons of trails, even if someone has done trails there, there are still numerous trail choices. My personal agenda would be Corkscrew gulch, California gulch, nellie creek, stony pass, black bear pass, minnie and maggie gulch and others if time permits. Big dawg challenges would be Poughkeepsie Gulch and black bear pass (b/c of the technical aspect of it) or a trip up to Montrose for the real challenges.

Crested Butte, Aspen and Marble
A little farther of a drive for some of us but some good trails such as Schofield Pass (Devils Punch Bowl). Limited stock trails - mostly rated easy trails. Bottom line is it is either difficult or easy trails.

That about takes care of the choices I had in mind. Does someone want to put these in a poll? Also some pre- running might be needed for some of these trails.

All of those are good sugestions Brian.

One thing though, alot of the Pikes Peak region is still closed/off limits due to last months fire. Longwater and Hacket gulches included.

That being said, there are still plenty of trails to do in the Pikes Peak/Colorado Springs/Woodland Park/Cripple Creek areas.

I am not making firm plans for myself for the CCR this year yet. I am still searching for work and may be forced to move to obtain employment. There are a few possibilities, one being up in the Vail, Colorado valley.

One thing though, alot of the Pikes Peak region is still closed/off limits due to last months fire. Longwater and Hacket gulches included.

This is just a rumor, but I heard they would open up the NF this weekend. But if they do, it will be for day use only. No Camping.:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay lets set it in Ouray. Lodging can be at the KOA or the hotel in Ridgeway. Meeting place can be at the ice arena just north of Ouray. Dinner can be at the good place in Ridgeway (I forgot the name of it). The Stock runs saturday will be "The Gulches" - about 5 trails that names end in "Gulch". Modified can be Poughkeepsie gulch and Engineer & Cinnamon pass or go to Montrose. That will be up to them. Sunday Would be Black Bear pass and ??. If time permits on sunday I would like to do Stony pass.I heard Imogene cost $ to do now and is crowded with tourist companies. Let me know what you think. Lets set this up so we can make reservations before its too late.

Back