Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
I have the option to pick up a 4.6l for my son. Has about 195k on it. Been sitting for a bit but after taking it for a drive, it seems to operate well, with a couple of exceptions.
1. 1st to 2nd seems a little hard, but no other issues felt.

2. Odd ball rear noise. It’s a rotational noise that goes with speed. Not grinding at all. I swear someone taped a piece of wood or plastic to the driveline so that it’s smacking at one point. The sound doesn’t really pick up mu.
And it’s more so coming from the left wheel. I’ve had bearing noise before, but it didn’t sound like this. And it’s too consistent to be the rear emerg. shoes having delaminated.

No real knowledge of the vehicle, before these owners the engine was replaced as “4.6l Mountaineer” is on the valve cover in Wrecking yard pen.
Only 1k, but not wanting to bring home a turd.
Engine was warm when we showed…..so no cold start. I can tell them next time that I want a cold start.

looks better in pictures.

C9AEFA61-6986-47B4-964C-A49F84F8483E.jpeg

DF4CEED3-9C9C-46BD-8EFC-80916F1CB82E.jpeg

My money is on the parking brake mechanism. With the miles on your it could be any of the parts in there floating around. Mine went on my 2002 and made a noise at lower RPMs because pieces of it were rotating inside the drum areas. As wheel rotation increased the noise went awat because the lose parts were held tight by centrifugal force. They are a PITA to repair, IMO, largely because I did so many drum brakes in my earlier days and always hated doing them.

Besides those yellowed headlights, looks pretty good. A bargain at $1000, but at 195k, you know they'll be issues.

Back