• Register Today It's free!

Slight acceleration power loss

yeet1331

Reaction score
City, State
Land O Lakes, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Limited 4.6 4x2
I have a 2005 explorer 4x2 with the 4.6 v8, flowmaster super 44 muffler and rear cat delete, 192,000 miles. I’ve noticed that sometimes it doesn’t get up and go as quick as I’m used to. It’s barely noticeable but enough to make me ask myself if it’s losing power. Engine is great, no lifter chatter on startup. it doesn’t sound like it’s misfiring (though I want to scan it and check). I checked the air filter last week and it doesn’t need changed. I also want to get an SCT Tuning X4 programmer and adjust the shift points slightly to counter a rough shift from 2nd into 3rd gear, and adjust for a mild performance oriented tune. Are these good places to look? Anything else I should check?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’ll try 89 octane and see what happens

Stick with Top Tier.

Also, I'm not sure of when it happens but the changeover from summer formula gas to winter formula gas may make a difference.

Stick with Top Tier.

Also, I'm not sure of when it happens but the changeover from summer formula gas to winter formula gas may make a difference.
Ok. Typing this as I’m filling up with plus, and if it doesn’t help I’ll try a tank of premium and then see what you recommended

I have a 2005 explorer 4x2 with the 4.6 v8, flowmaster super 44 muffler and rear cat delete, 192,000 miles. I’ve noticed that sometimes it doesn’t get up and go as quick as I’m used to. It’s barely noticeable but enough to make me ask myself if it’s losing power. Engine is great, no lifter chatter on startup. it doesn’t sound like it’s misfiring (though I want to scan it and check). I checked the air filter last week and it doesn’t need changed. I also want to get an SCT Tuning X4 programmer and adjust the shift points slightly to counter a rough shift from 2nd into 3rd gear, and adjust for a mild performance oriented tune. Are these good places to look? Anything else I should check?

fuel filter is another guess, also if you haven’t changed your trans fluid that could help you with that 2-3 shift.

fuel filter is another guess, also if you haven’t changed your trans fluid that could help you with that 2-3 shift.
Don’t know when it was last changed actually so yeah probably a good idea... also l removed, cleaned, and reinstalled my throttle body today and I could tell that nobody had ever cleaned it throughout the engine’s entire 192,000 mile life because it was completely coated in carbon gunk. I ran the self-diagnostic for the higher trim message center (hold setup and reset buttons for 4 secs with key in off position, start vehicle then release buttons) before and after and I noticed immediately that after cleaning it was adding less fuel and throttle response improved.

Don’t know when it was last changed actually so yeah probably a good idea... also l removed, cleaned, and reinstalled my throttle body today and I could tell that nobody had ever cleaned it throughout the engine’s entire 192,000 mile life because it was completely coated in carbon gunk. I ran the self-diagnostic for the higher trim message center (hold setup and reset buttons for 4 secs with key in off position, start vehicle then release buttons) before and after and I noticed immediately that after cleaning it was adding less fuel and throttle response improved.
Good idea also another easy thing to clean is your iac basically the same as taking off of your throttle body just less steps. Also make sure to unplug the battery and reset the PCM the Ford techmachulo or something like that has a video on how to do it it’ll make your idle smoother and your pcm will relearn idle and all that. I cleaned my iac and replaced my pcv valve and definitely noticed a lot of low end grunt that wasn’t there before. In my case I’m more sure the pcv valve was the culprit but I also had a whistle and a few other symptoms but the iac definitely smoothed out my idle as it was stuck and gross

Good idea also another easy thing to clean is your iac basically the same as taking off of your throttle body just less steps. Also make sure to unplug the battery and reset the PCM the Ford techmachulo or something like that has a video on how to do it it’ll make your idle smoother and your pcm will relearn idle and all that. I cleaned my iac and replaced my pcv valve and definitely noticed a lot of low end grunt that wasn’t there before. In my case I’m more sure the pcv valve was the culprit but I also had a whistle and a few other symptoms but the iac definitely smoothed out my idle as it was stuck and gross
Now I got away with not replacing the throttle body gasket because I didn’t take the two pieces off, I left em together and took it off

Once you complete the tune-up parts (fuel filter, spark plugs, clean maf, clean throttle body,), you can change the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).
I had an acceleration/hesitation problem that was random and replacing the TPS with a Ford part fixed it.

Once you complete the tune-up parts (fuel filter, spark plugs, clean maf, clean throttle body,), you can change the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS).
I had an acceleration/hesitation problem that was random and replacing the TPS with a Ford part fixed it.

Easy to test the TPS with ForScan...

Back