• Register Today It's free!

'00 4.0 OHV Rough Cold Idle.

Evan Schneider

Reaction score
City, State
Kalispell, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS
I did extensive searching (2 hours) and couldn't find a difinitive answer. (lots of posts on this problem with SOHC but very little on OHV.)

My '00 XLS 4.0 OHV starts and runs every time, but idles rough for a few minutes. After it warms up a little, the problem goes away. Has anyone had problems with the intake gaskets on this engine or is it just a problem with the sohc engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clean the Idle Air Control (IAC) Valve. Its the little silver can on the throttlebody. 15 minutes to remove (with mm socket), clean and reinstall. Search for thread with detailed cleaning instructions.

I am having almost the same problem with my wife's Explorer. It idles real rough to start and will even cut off a few times before it will stay on. I had this problem with my Dage Ram and it was the IAC. I plan on changing the Explorer IAC this weekend and hope it works.

You can also clean the MAF sensor also. Do a search for it there's instructions. How many miles are on the spark plugs? Could use a plug and wire change.

I am in the exact same situation right now. I will let you know what happens but friends tell me there is a bypass solinoid on the butterfly for the throttle body that gets gummed up and causes the poor slow idle in cold weather also know as the IAC. It is held on just behind the butterfly with two bolts on the drivers side. I just cleaned mine but still idleing rough it may be jammed. If you find an answer drop me a line to this issue.

Pulled the IAC off again and mechanically forced it to move back towards the solinoid and freed it up. I then soaked the valve in WD40 and moved it back and forth for about ten minutes. Put it back on the truck and like majic it works perfectly. Thanks to all for the help.

From my research, the IAC seems to be a key problem as well as a failure in the upper intake gaskets and o-rings. I'm definitely going to try rickfireftr's method first though.

Back