'00 5.0 AWD Coolant dripping from crankshaft | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'00 5.0 AWD Coolant dripping from crankshaft

L2rocku2

Reaction score
City, State
Chandler, Arizona 85224
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 E/B AWD 5.0
Hey all. 2000 5.0 AWD, 76,000 mi. Started out with a (huge) radiator tank leak. Replaced with a new 1. Also replaced ALL (7) coolant lines (including line to overflow tank), heater control valve & themostat. Secured all hoses with screw type clamps.

Get all this done, filled with a 50/50 mix, burped all air and all was good (temp guage reading where it always had) coolant level in overflow tank remained the same level. 3-4 days later, I notice antifreeze dripping from the front of the oil pan. Popped the hood and could not find a single leak or wet spot!! Got home and jacked up the front & found the antifreeze was dripping from the center of the crankshaft. Just a constant drip. Does not matter if system is pressurized or not, the drip remains the same. Checked all hoses, clamps and water pump (best i could, we all know how tight it is under that hood) and still found no source of the leak. Assumed it must be the water pump, so I pulled it off & still could not see where the leak was coming from (water pump gasket looked dry?) :frustrate. All the water pump bolts came out clean & in tact.

So, before I put the new water pump on and possibly miss something, I thought I would ask here. Needless to say, if it still drips after the new pump is on, I ain't gonna be none too happy :splat: Thanks to anyone that replies or knows what could be causing the drip.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all. 2000 5.0 AWD, 76,000 mi. Started out with a (huge) radiator tank leak. Replaced with a new 1. Also replaced ALL (7) coolant lines (including line to overflow tank), heater control valve & themostat. Secured all hoses with screw type clamps.

Get all this done, filled with a 50/50 mix, burped all air and all was good (temp guage reading where it always had) coolant level in overflow tank remained the same level. 3-4 days later, I notice antifreeze dripping from the front of the oil pan. Popped the hood and could not find a single leak or wet spot!! Got home and jacked up the front & found the antifreeze was dripping from the center of the crankshaft. Just a constant drip. Does not matter if system is pressurized or not, the drip remains the same. Checked all hoses, clamps and water pump (best i could, we all know how tight it is under that hood) and still found no source of the leak. Assumed it must be the water pump, so I pulled it off & still could not see where the leak was coming from (water pump gasket looked dry?) :frustrate. All the water pump bolts came out clean & in tact.

So, before I put the new water pump on and possibly miss something, I thought I would ask here. Needless to say, if it still drips after the new pump is on, I ain't gonna be none too happy :splat: Thanks to anyone that replies or knows what could be causing the drip.

If you're sure the leak isn't coming from the water pump perimeter or shaft seeal, look for leaks around the timing cover the water pump bolts onto. There are coolant channels in there also.

If you're sure the leak isn't coming from the water pump perimeter or shaft seeal, look for leaks around the timing cover the water pump bolts onto. There are coolant channels in there also.

Thanks for the reply Bob. The water pump gasket (to front engine cover) directly above the crank/balancer, did have about an inch wide that looked "wet", but I cannot be sure that that is were it was leaking from. Standing there, staring at where the water pump was, I just can't see any other place (bolt hole, hose or gasket) that could leak and have the antifreeze drip from the bottom center of the crank??? New pump will be here tomorrow (with new idler pulleys). I'll put her back together and see what happens. Gonna do both UCA's and all 4 shocks tonight :eek: lol.

Thanks for the reply Bob. The water pump gasket (to front engine cover) directly above the crank/balancer, did have about an inch wide that looked "wet", but I cannot be sure that that is were it was leaking from. Standing there, staring at where the water pump was, I just can't see any other place (bolt hole, hose or gasket) that could leak and have the antifreeze drip from the bottom center of the crank??? New pump will be here tomorrow (with new idler pulleys). I'll put her back together and see what happens. Gonna do both UCA's and all 4 shocks tonight :eek: lol.

Don't forget your "fifth shock" - between frame and rear axle on pass side. I assume that the AWDs have it like my 2WD does.

Sounds like the timing cover gasket is leaking to me and with all that stuff off there its just another hour of work and $15 dollars.
Mine had that leak not a constant drip but rather a drip a day, at 200k I changed it and my water pump which was not leaking.
Amazing what that heat does to a cooling system down there, all those things you replaced are original and in decent shape on mine at 214k, I guess the bypass hose was kinda crappy at 200K :thumbsup:

Don't forget your "fifth shock" - between frame and rear axle on pass side. I assume that the AWDs have it like my 2WD does.

Thanks Bob, I noticed that 5th shock when I was changing the rears & said . . . "self . . . . what in blazin hell is that???" :wtf: LOL. I've ordered a monroe so all 5 match.

Sounds like the timing cover gasket is leaking to me and with all that stuff off there its just another hour of work and $15 dollars.
Mine had that leak not a constant drip but rather a drip a day, at 200k I changed it and my water pump which was not leaking.
Amazing what that heat does to a cooling system down there, all those things you replaced are original and in decent shape on mine at 214k, I guess the bypass hose was kinda crappy at 200K :thumbsup:

Wish i'd seen your post before I got it all back together W03C!! So far, so good, havent seen any leaks yet :thumbsup:

i recently have had a similar issue with mine, its like it started overnight, haven't pinpointed it yet, but i'm guessing i'm gonna have to do the timing cover gasket and waterpump as well.

Back