• Register Today It's free!

00 AWD v8 shudder at low rpms

Rolla91

Reaction score
City, State
Marshall,MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Eddie Bauer AWD V8
I have a 2000 V8 AWD explorer and at low rpms, normally only noticeable in 3rd and 4th gear when you put a load on the transmission( like going up a hill) at anywhere from 40-70 mph it shudders. If you just accelerate more and make it downshift it seems fine. It isn't horrible, but It can be felt. Im just hoping to get it fixed before it gets worse.

Does anyone have any ideas what this may be?

No check engine lights/ od lights flashing.

I'm getting ready to do a transmission service in the next few days, and I don't know how long it has been since one had been done prior to this as I just bought this explorer.

Thanks in advance,
Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shudder is usually attributed to the torque converter.

mine does this also....it is the toque converter it does it upon lock up i have no idea as to a remady tho probly replacement F:censored:K

So pretty much since its the converter, even though some days it seems worse than others, its probably not going to completely fail and leave me stranded anytime soon is it?

dont think so i think it has something to to with only lock up. If it were to fail i dont think it would lock any more but still function but im not an expert....

I have the same problem. Which torque converter is the one to get for replacement?

Where is Marshall MO?

It's called torque shudder- fresh fluid (mercon V) will usually solve the problem, change it all- drain the torque converter to get it all. I think its 12-14 quarts :scratch:

And, I usually lock out OD on hills or when I feel the engine "lug".

Marshall, MO is in Mid Missouri, about an hour east of KC.

How do I drain the converter completely? I've got a filter kit I can put in tomorrow. I normally use valvoline products in my truck, will their mercron V work or is there a different brand that would work better?

The converter has a little bitty drain plug in it. The bell housing has a rubber plug in the bottom- remove it and with a helper, bump the engine around until it lines up with the hole. Without draining the TC, you'll get less than 1/2 the fluid.

I'm gonna try this as soon as I get time.
-Thanks Evan :thumbsup:

i have similar problems after i put a new transmission and torque converter in it i have a 1998 v6 explorer awd it doesnt shudder when its cold or under loud it sounds like a rattling sound

What should I torque the bolts down to? Is there any special pattern to follow? Or any other tips??

-Thanks!!!!!

Anybody? The pan is off now and I got the torque converter draining!!!!!;)

I'm sure there is a torque value, but I always use a 3/8" ratchet and snug them up. Not excessively tight, but not too loose either. Save your pan gasket, they are re-useable. Throw away the cork gasket that came with the filter. I didn't/don't use a special pattern, just make sure you hit all your bolts.

I'm sure a trans pro has other ideas like torque values and a pattern, but I've never used one and never had any problems. :dunno:

That is exactly what I did just wanted to be perfect is all. Thanks again Evan you are a HUGE help!!!!:thumbsup:

It still has the shudder:(

Bump

I have a shudder in 4th gear, only sometimes and more so when the truck is under load, fluid has been changed recently (5/6) liter and about 40k miles ago I did a full drain and fill (13/14) liters. Anyone experience this too.

Back